What's new

USB hub for multiple devices - Surface Pro 3

ymenessy

Hi,
I hope anyone can help with this.
I am trying to connect my external HDD as well as a Bluetooth mouse & keyboard through a USB hub, however the HDD is not working and the Surface does not even read it.
Can someone recommend a trusted hub that I can get?
I had a look at this one but not sure it will be working.

TIA

AMS

Metalman's question was the same as I was going to ask. If the hub isn't powered, and if a device (like an external HDD) draws any significant amount of power, you're going to be out of luck. I assume from your description that the BT keyboard and mouse do work. Assuming that's the case, plug only the HDD into the Surface and see if that works. If so, plug only the HDD into the hub and the hub into the Surface. If that works, then plug the BT dongle into the hub and see what happens. By the way, that does seem odd. Why are you connecting the BT keyboard and BT mouse through the hub? Why not connect them to the Surface's BT instead? Or am I misreading your question?

OP
Y

ymenessy

Metalman's question was the same as I was going to ask. If the hub isn't powered, and if a device (like an external HDD) draws any significant amount of power, you're going to be out of luck. I assume from your description that the BT keyboard and mouse do work. Assuming that's the case, plug only the HDD into the Surface and see if that works. If so, plug only the HDD into the hub and the hub into the Surface. If that works, then plug the BT dongle into the hub and see what happens. By the way, that does seem odd. Why are you connecting the BT keyboard and BT mouse through the hub? Why not connect them to the Surface's BT instead? Or am I misreading your question?
The HDD is not working when connected to the hub (and the hub to the surface); the mouse and keyboard are connected through a small USB device, the one shown in the attached picture, that's why I am trying to connect them both through a hub.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-05 at 10.32.50 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-05 at 10.32.50 PM.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 265
OP
Y

ymenessy

Could you please look at this one and tell me if it's gonna work?

AMS

Could you please look at this one and tell me if it's gonna work?
It won't work without a power supply. That model can accept external power, but doesn't come with the power supply for the hub, which is what you need.

OP
Y

ymenessy

It won't work without a power supply. That model can accept external power, but doesn't come with the power supply for the hub, which is what you need.
I got it, Thank you!
Would you please check this one also? I think it can be used with a power supply also.

shorturl.at/dtBLY

TIA

AMS

That one would have the same problem--it doesn't come with a power supply--something like this ought to work: