What's new

USB devices not always recognized

MLowijs

Hi all,

Got my Surface Pro almost a week ago and am loving it!

Today, however, I bought a Corsair Voyager USB 3 flash drive.
When I first plugged it into my Surface, it worked fine.
Later, though, I plugged it in again, but Windows gave me a 'device not recognized' error on the desktop.
After much replugging, the device is sometimes recognized, but only about 15% of the time.
When it is recognized, however, it works fine.
On other machines (granted, with USB 2 ports) the drive works fine.
Other USB devices seem to work fine as well.

Is anyone else experiencing problems like these with USB (3) devices on Surface Pro?
I'm thinking it might be an issue with the USB controller driver, and really hope it's not a hardware issue, as that would mean I'd have to ship it back to the US (imported it to The Netherlands).

J515OP

Super Moderator
There is another thread talking about the same issue. First try a different flash drive and see if you consistently have the same issues. If not it might be a slight issue with the particular drive and you may want to check the contacts. If it happens with other drives it is possible there is a software or hardware issue with the Surface. A hardware issue will require a replacement while a driver issue will obviously need to be corrected with an update.

OP
M

MLowijs

Thanks for your replies.

I tried searching for other threads about this issue, but couldn't find any, sorry about that.

I'm starting to suspect that this flash drive is really faulty... It is a refurbished one after all.
Other USB 2 flash drives seem to work fine, so what I'll try to do is find another USB 3 flash drive to test with, so that I can (hopefully) rule out my Surface.

steveashe

Ah - I'm glad it's not just me. I have a 32gb USB 3 Corsair Survivor and for the life of me I can't get my Pro to recognize it. Worked a few times then stopped working. I was on with a Microsoft tech for half hour last week, he was stumped too. Add a device doesn't work either.
I have a couple of USB 2 flash drives that work fine. So the only problems I've had with the Pro so far is that it doesn't recognize my USB 3 flash drive and - it's addictive. It's wild, coolest tech piece I've had in years. My son wants one for college next year (byeeee MacBook).

OP
M

MLowijs

Ah - I'm glad it's not just me. I have a 32gb USB 3 Corsair Survivor and for the life of me I can't get my Pro to recognize it. Worked a few times then stopped working. I was on with a Microsoft tech for half hour last week, he was stumped too. Add a device doesn't work either.
I have a couple of USB 2 flash drives that work fine. So the only problems I've had with the Pro so far is that it doesn't recognize my USB 3 flash drive and - it's addictive. It's wild, coolest tech piece I've had in years. My son wants one for college next year (byeeee MacBook).

Glad other people are having the same issue, might not be just my Surface then. Could be Corsair producing USB 3 drives with bad USB 3 implementations?

Otherwise, I'm suspecting the USB controller driver to be broken.

Laja

I'm having the same problem, my Ms Surface Pro doesn't recognise my Consair Survivor Flash Drive. Guys how was this resolved

machistmo

Corsair Voyager's are known to be flaky. I had 2 that quit working. I replaced the first one RMA and the second I just up and threw in the trash. Now that being said. Disk Management should allow you to see the drive. Right click there and select ONLINE sometimes works or the drive may have a letter assignment issue that you can resolve in Disk Management as well. Windows Key + R :diskmgmt.msc

Last edited: