What's new

USB 2 devices work - USB 3 devices not recognized

OP
N

Not2Old2Fly

Thank you for your help - it is MOST appreciated. Back up and running this morning. I seem to have everything back where it's supposed to be. Troubleshooter found only one problem - 'Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub has a driver problem'. Original problem persists.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, thanks for the 'thanks'. I see you are still alive after that.

I am looking for a solution for you. Lots of scary and complicated procedures are available to 'hack' a fix, but it would take days and cost hundreds of lives. (/DRAMA)

A 'Fall Creators Update' (codename Redstone 3) of Windows 10 will be coming out in September, 2017, only a few weeks away. With it are settings and drivers which are likely to solve your problem. I am running the Insiders Preview of Windows 10, which has those drivers.

How about we wait for that update? You can pacify yourself by reading about some of the new features here!

OP
N

Not2Old2Fly

Waiting sounds like a winner. I was figuring I would be in regedit doing all kinds of crazy things. If you think I would be better waiting, then that's what I'll do. Everything is working (not working) like it has been for months. Thanks again.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Studying the problem.

If I were to test on my SB, what USB 3 device (exactly) is not working?

OP
N

Not2Old2Fly

I have several Sandisk Ultra thumb drives, a Transcend high speed USB to SD adapter (because my SD slot stopped working first a for a while I was able to read an SD card through a USB port). I have an 8gig thumb drive marked USB 2.0 that does work correctly and a little external Dell DW316 DVDRW drive that works.

OP
N

Not2Old2Fly

The SanDisk Ultra drives marked USB 3.0 and the Transcend USB-SD adapter marked USB 3.1/3.0 are not recognized by the USB port (either of them). The computer does not recognize any SD card inserted in the SD slot.

The USB 2.0 thumb drive and the DVDRW drive ARE recognized and seem to work correctly.