What's new

UPS left my new surface 2 in the mail box

jrapdx

Incorrect. Signature is required only of the shipper requests it, otherwise it's up to the delivery person's discretion to either leave the package at the door, at some other suitable place, or leave a note. In general, they don't leave packages outside in 'bad' areas.

Depends on the item. In the US, pharmaceutical suppliers routinely ship prescribed drugs via UPS, etc., directly to patients, including Schedule II products, like opioids. A signature is required by federal law.

OK, whether to leave a package on the porch may be "discretionary" when the item is worth $25, but I'll bet a vendor shipping a $2000 computer would prefer not to leave certainty of delivery up to the "discretion" of the driver. In my business we're frequent shippers and receivers, so the drivers are familiar with our workflow and we've seldom had problems of that sort. Besides, I'm sure they've figured out we'd yell bloody murder for such an offense and quite rightly we should.

Dim-Ize

For a mail box, that's true. But the SP2 wasn't mailed. No, the buyer paid to have the purchase transported by a "public carrier" (UPS, FedEx, et. al.) government-licensed to deliver the object to the buyer. Unless instructed otherwise by the purchaser, the delivery of the item is supposed to be acknowledged by signature of an individual authorized to receive the package, certainly not abandoned on the doorstep.

Yes, I know that too often happens, but it's foolish. The carrier is responsible for the item during transport, and should the package "disappear" from where it was dropped unattended, without that signature or proof of delivery, the carrier will very likely be liable for the full cost of the item.

Even if the merchandise isn't stolen (a good thing of course), by all means, such irresponsible behavior is worth complaining about.

This is off topic. I'm sorry. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me. But, just for the sake of knowing, I asked my close friend who works for UPS if they could deliver to a mailbox. He replied, "Not legally, but I know it has happened."

The fact remains that it shouldn't have been handled this way #1 as it poses risk to the recipient. But, from a legal perspective, I really believe that it is off limits and was a violation of the UPS protocol to deliver to a USPS mailbox.

Raggarkungen

My Surface Pro 2 was delivered by a really tall postal woman who wanted me to "wrestle" her for the package. I thought she was joking and laughingly said yes - and then suddenly she screamed really, really loud and attacked me in the hallway.

drolem

Depends on the item. In the US, pharmaceutical suppliers routinely ship prescribed drugs via UPS, etc., directly to patients, including Schedule II products, like opioids. A signature is required by federal law.
Irrelevant. High tech items intended for consumers don't usually have drug like restrictions. My point is that the shipper has to indicate the type of delivery s/he wants -- and unless indicated and paid for otherwise, signature is not required. Among other other things, a shipper can request: signature, adult signature, return receipt, and recipient only delivery.

OK, whether to leave a package on the porch may be "discretionary" when the item is worth $25, but I'll bet a vendor shipping a $2000 computer would prefer not to leave certainty of delivery up to the "discretion" of the driver.
It's up to the vendor. I've had packages worth over $500 left at my door, and a video card worth about $150 shipped to me with a return receipt -- it's all up to the shipper.

cali

I had a box left with the neighbor across the hall, someone I had never met or spoken to. The carrier tried to leave the second box of the shipment with him also, but he declined it and returned the first box because he figured out that he would never see me and no longer wanted to be bothered with my packages. When I spoke to the carrier on the subsequent delivery, which I was home to receive, he didn't think it was a big deal to leave merchandise with neighbors. I asked him how did he know that was ok with me, since I objected to it? He just looked at me as if I was the one who was crazy. I made a mental note to be careful dealing with that carrier in the future, since they showed such little regard for my property. So far, I've bought my electronic items in stores, and this is one of the reasons why.

OP
macmee

macmee

I had a box left with the neighbor across the hall, someone I had never met or spoken to. The carrier tried to leave the second box of the shipment with him also, but he declined it and returned the first box because he figured out that he would never see me and no longer wanted to be bothered with my packages. When I spoke to the carrier on the subsequent delivery, which I was home to receive, he didn't think it was a big deal to leave merchandise with neighbors. I asked him how did he know that was ok with me, since I objected to it? He just looked at me as if I was the one who was crazy. I made a mental note to be careful dealing with that carrier in the future, since they showed such little regard for my property. So far, I've bought my electronic items in stores, and this is one of the reasons why.

What an awful experience! It's lucky you got the device in the end.

jrapdx

Leaving packages with neighbors isn't a big deal, if that's what you requested. Of course, then you'd arranged that with your neighbor, and unlikely there's a problem. Dropping your package somewhere without your permission may be "at the driver's discretion", but it still seems at best improper.

I think I'd consider filing a complaint with the governing state agencies, certainly bend the ear of the merchant who shipped the item, and if the delay receiving the item was substantial, I'd notify the credit card company of the problem--they have a lot of clout--and you shouldn't have to pay for the delay (if it resulted in additional charges).

It may not stop the arrogant behavior you describe, but often enough the glare of publicity has a cumulative effect, you are unlikely to be the only one affected. It won't hurt your interests to call it like you see it.

Last edited:

godson594

FedEx left my package on the front porch (when I had requested a signature) and this is for my replacement unit. I literally stayed at home from work so I could sign for it because Microsoft said there was no other way that it could be delivered....

I was just like ^*(^&* FedEx?! - Ran outside and dude already drove off....

bluegrass

It could have easily been stolen and then it would be my word against UPS.

Also I mentioned the cold because I'm curious how could it would have to be to cause damage to the device. Doesn't seem to be any damage to this device due to sitting in the cold, but I'm merely curious.

In the early days of my supporting liquid crystal devices, I was told that if the unit was left in below freezing, it could damage the liquid crystal. I'm not sure if that still holds true but I wouldn't want to leave my Surface in the car or in a place where it was below freezing for more than an hour or two.

Actually, I think your complaint is legitimate against the UPS or USPS if it was in your mailbox. I'm surprised the shipment didn't require a signature.

Last edited:
OP
macmee

macmee

In the early days of my supporting liquid crystal devices, I was told that if the unit was left in below freezing, it could damage the liquid crystal. I'm not sure if that still holds true but I wouldn't want to leave my Surface in the car or in a place where it was below freezing for more than an hour or two.

Actually, I think your complaint is legitimate against the UPS or USPS if it was in your mailbox. I'm surprised the shipment didn't require a signature.

Yeah. Next time I speak to Microsoft I'll tell them where it was left. Pretty unfair to Microsoft if UPS isn't respecting their merchandise as they're paid to do.

jrapdx

Yeah. Next time I speak to Microsoft I'll tell them where it was left. Pretty unfair to Microsoft if UPS isn't respecting their merchandise as they're paid to do.

Reading so many posts on the subject, it begins to impress that "misdelivered" merchandise is not a rarity, and often enough a harrowing experience for buyers.

Therefore when ordering expensive items on-line, it is best to adopt a a firm policy of carefully specifying delivery conditions for each and every order. IOW do not leave it up to "discretion", at least no more so than is truly acceptable to you, the buyer.

Of course as the above case shows, requesting a signature doesn't necessarily mean that's how the deliver is conducted. To me, it's important to "make noise" re: bad service or else it's encouraged to continue. Yes, notify the merchant, saying future business depends on trusting items will be delivered as contracted. A formal complaint to regulatory agencies does get attention, it's a real pain, and an expense, for a business to respond to agency inquiries. If you had to pay extra for assured delivery demand a refund of that fee.

Passivity in the face of conduct that really should not be tolerated is part of the problem, not the solution.

Last edited:

Ruffles

Glad you didn't get this delivery guy [video=youtube;D7Sb_r7BKTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sb_r7BKTc[/video] (I think I heard he was fired). Typically, I'm as impatient as a little kid on Christmas when I know a package is coming so I like to have a hold placed on it as soon as it arrives at my local distribution center and then I drive over and get it myself.