What's new

Upgrade from windows 8.1 to Win10

albatronas

Hello,

I just bought a SP3 device with i5 and 4gb ram. I am Running windows 8.1 and I am planning to upgrade to
Windows 10. So far the performance is just awesome! If I update to Windows 10 will I have any performance problems? I heard that some users are experiencing some problems with that. What are you suggesting. Upgrade now or wait for the next big update that Microsoft planning over the next month?

Thanks!
Andreas

macmee

I suggest waiting mostly because of one (very annoying) bug where sometimes the device gets into a state where every tap on the screen is a right click, and you have to reboot to fix it. It's a really common bug and Microsoft hasn't fixed it or said anything about it but I'd wait until that's fixed to upgrade.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
only problem i ever encounter on 3 surfaces (s3, sp3, sp4) is higher than normal battery drain. I have not seen the right click issue in a long time now.

Russ

Did anyone try upgrading now to windows 10?

Just finished uneventful upgrade of Ladyfriend's SP3 from 8.1 to Win10, using USB with 10240. No apparent issues. Am now installing the 10586 update before I return it to her. Don't expect any problems, but will post them if any.

Regards,
Russ

qworks

Russ, do you still have a recovery image for the surface rt? Microsoft no longer provides it and its not in their archives.

kristalsoldier

only problem i ever encounter on 3 surfaces (s3, sp3, sp4) is higher than normal battery drain. I have not seen the right click issue in a long time now.

Yeps, I notice this on my SP3 and S3 too. I do wish MS would optimize the OS further for increased battery efficiency.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeps, I notice this on my SP3 and S3 too. I do wish MS would optimize the OS further for increased battery efficiency.

I no longer have an issue with battery. I mentioned elsewhere, but I recently had a film going, and after exactly 1 hour of film, I still had 92% battery on my S3. That's good enough for me :)