What's new

Unresponsive touch screen

ffmuk

I am having issues with my touch screen, which are not resolved despite a complete factory reset. The screen will work intermittently after a full reset until I shut down the machine, after which it will not come back to life even with power switch+vol up. I can't seem to figure out what is causing it and have applied all updates etc. The screen does not work in the UEFI either. When the screen does work, it will work completely normally, but when it doesn't it does not respond at all (to either pen or touch).

I am literally 3 weeks out of my warranty period. Any advice, other than paying Microsoft $300?

Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@ffmuk ,

I had this problem a couple months ago with my Surface Book. It took me two weeks to figure it out. Wiggling a bit would sometimes fix it, or a restart would fix it for several minutes.

The problem was that a metallic fiber or some kind of tiny string debris was blocking some contacts in the edge connector for the keyboard to the screen. I suspect metallic, due to the magnetic connectors. The debris was so tiny, that a only saw something fall away out of the corner of my eye when blowing it out. The intermittent problem was probably due to the debris causing a poor connection only when voltages stabilized some time after a reboot.

Just something else to check, which you have probably done.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does it seem to be okay after powering your SP4 up from cold? If so, it may be some internal circuit which disconnects some contact after the Surface warms up. If it acts this way, you may need to pay the $300 for the fix/replacement.

OP
F

ffmuk

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Looks like I'm going to have to shell out...