What's new

unable to format partition on microSD card

kurtkurtosis

I created a Recovery Drive on a 64GB microSD card. Windows foramted the SD card with a 32GB FAT 32 partition. This leaves ~28GB of unallocated space according as displayed by Disk Management.

When I right click the 28GB unallocated portion of the microSD card all options to created a partion (New Simple Volume are grayed out). So there is no option to utilize the unallocated space.

Any idea how to partition the unused space on my SP3?

I did the same thing with a 64GB USB stick and created a WIN 8.1 Recovery Drive. Again right clicking on the unallocated space all options for format were grayed out.

I moved the USB stick to a WIN7 laptop and was then able to format the drive to have two partitions on the USB stick.

OP
K

kurtkurtosis

Yes, on the USB stick I have now two partitions: D: & E:
with D: holding the Recovery Disk and E: can be used to copy files.

I also verified that the recovery disk still works.

I can't use the microSD on the WIN7 PC as I don't have the adapter for the microSD card with me (as I am traveling).

OP
K

kurtkurtosis

In general, yes, but can't move the microSD card right now to my WIN7 laptop since I do not have the microSD to miniSD adapter handy.

bluegrass

Just curious. Couldn't you put other files in the same partition as the recovery. I would have just created another folder in the recovery partition and used that folder for all my non-recovery files. I haven't ever created a thumb drive recovery setup so, I might be way off base here.