What's new

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm one step away from doing that. But wouldn't they just shrug their shoulders and say, well, it's past end of life?
I've never dealt with this kind of thing on hardware, but that's because I always built my computers before. Now, they control the hardware and the software. :/ And they don't list the EOL dates of any Surface products anymore, which is kinda sketchy.
They are usually pretty good at responding, you can add Panos Panay as well

OP
R

reptilian

Well, I tweeted Surface and Panos and no response. At this point, I'm hoping Amazon will accept my SPro2 as a working trade-in. I feel bad even selling it to a friend since the updates are so unpredictable. What a waste of a great computer!
On the bright side, I found a used 2017 Surface Pro on Ebay, arriving next week I hope.
I should probably learn from this and buy another brand, but I'm giving MS the benefit of the doubt that the newer devices have worked out such crazy bugs with firmware. At least those have a working UEFI where you can set options (from what I've seen). My Surface Pro 1 never had any big issues other than quirky Bluetooth. Surface Pro 2, bad firmware. Surface Pro 2017, if it has issues in the next few years, I will probably move on to Dell or HP or something else. But I'm trusting this will be a good one. Maybe that's why they renamed it to "Surface Pro", like Surface Pro 1/2/3/4 were beta devices and MS ironed out all their hardware growing pains (battery, firmware, etc.).
I still think Surface Pro's (all varieties) are the best small form PC/tablets available. I hope MS consumer support gets better.

OP
R

reptilian

I still have it, preparing for a friend who will use it with a Bluetooth keyboard.
I read the link. I appreciate the help, but those updates only apply to Surface Pro 4 and Surface Laptop I think. Mine is a Surface Pro 2, which it seems like will not get any further driver or firmware updates.
If my new (arriving today) 2017 Surface Pro has keyboard issues, I might go insane.

OP
R

reptilian

New Surface Pro is great so far! Just happy to not be fighting with those SPro2 issues, and at least I have a warranty now. The new SP4/2017 Type Cover is much better, great touchpad so far, very smooth.
Seriously, that firmware BS wasted over a week of my life and tons of frustration using the onscreen keyboard. Let that be a warning to not expect support for devices older than a few years, use at your own risk.