What's new

Type cover waking SP3 in bag...

riggi

The power button on all of the surface pros has been one of the worst features. Way too easy to accidentally trigger when in a bag/pouch.
They should either recessed it, or made it so you have to hold it for 2 seconds in order to turn it on.
At the moment, it just takes a bump for a fraction of a second and the SP will come on and get really hot in your bag.

Morgan

If you think the power button is the problem, make sure that it's at the top while Surface is inside the bag.

olimjj

The power button on all of the surface pros has been one of the worst features. Way too easy to accidentally trigger when in a bag/pouch.
They should either recessed it, or made it so you have to hold it for 2 seconds in order to turn it on.
At the moment, it just takes a bump for a fraction of a second and the SP will come on and get really hot in your bag.

FWIW I have made a low tech, low cost workaround, to the power button on the Surface 1 &2 (I wish they had recessed it a bit more) being inadvertently pressed at inopportune times. For example, careless handling, movement or inadvertent contact in my carry case etc. These events can lead to battery draining and/ or heating up excessively. It provides a margin of safety for these events as well a quick tactile locator in obvious situations.

Material: Velcro adhesive strip (plastic textured surface)
Cost: < 1$ YPMV
Shape: Rectanglar
Outside dimensions: 20mm x10mm
Inside cutout dimensions: 12mm x 5mm
View attachment 1691View attachment 1692View attachment 1693

Final picture with the guard around the power button
WP_20140224_005.jpg

Last edited:

kundas1

Sorry but that's simply not true, it takes a good amount of pressure to turn on my SP3 with the power button, it isn't feather touch like your saying... I have no idea and I cannot replicate this problem that some of you are experiencing... is it possible that your turning it on with the button on the pen? which even that asks you if you wanna unlock the device or it turns off...

kundas1

Btw this is the carry bag I use and it fits perfectly snug which is not too tight and not too big with lots of pockets

41WBEWv9JeL.jpg

OP
D

DeltaXray

I would be surprised if it was the power button causing it for me but I can't rule it out. The SP3 fits in my bag in portrait mode meaning the power button rests to the side rather than top.

olimjj

From an in bag ,inadvertently pressed power button point of view, I have not had any carry case turn-on incidents since using my home made guards (about a year). I do however shut my unit off before hand. In addition you can design a similar guard for the Windows Logo Button on the SP3 for those having trouble while inking/drawing. FYI the thickness is unobtrusive at less than 2mm.

toaf

i've had my SP2 with power cover turn itself on 2 or 3 times now (in the last few weeks). i know i turn it off (all the way) then stash it on a bookshelf. come home and find out its been on the whole time. i will try taking the power cover off first next time. but it sure seems odd. unless all the heat is getting to the on/off switch.

bluegrass

If you think the power button is the problem, make sure that it's at the top while Surface is inside the bag.

Lately my I've found my computer on when I get to work and I always do a shutdown when I'm not going to use it or for sure when I put in my Waterfield bag. I have always been in the habit of putting it in the bag with the power button to the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to start putting in with the power button to the top and see if that works. It does fit snugly (top to bottom) in my bag. If changing to keeping the power button on the top doesn't work, I may try the Velcro idea or come up with my own.

Thank you forum. You keep helping me learn great things all the time.