What's new

type cover stops responding

bertopl

is this a common problem?? I'm loving everything about the surface pro EXCEPT for the fact that the type cover on my unit periodically stops responding. I have to pull the cover off and re-attach it to bring it back to life. not a big big deal but in class it's very distracting and in general drives me banana sandwich!! I've searched and read quite a few threads (but not on this board) of this happening. tried all the suggestions such as cleaning the contacts with alcohol, etc, and even swapped out the cover for a new one and same thing.

You're not alone. Just had it happen before replying. Usually it is after the device has woken up after a long sleep. By the way, I'm using an rt so it is not just the pro.

zhenya

Same happens to me on a Surface Pro with touch cover - usually after having the cover flipped back for a while. Two different SP's, two different covers.

OP
bertopl

bertopl

wow. I was wondering if this would be reason enough to get my surface exchanged but not really sure it would make a difference. well I replaced the type cover on the last day of my 14 day trial so I went ahead and paid the 99 bux to get the extended warranty just in case. don't know if MS can fix this via an update or if it's an inherent hardware problem.

DOTTAT

I had this problem on surface number 2 and had to return it because it completely stopped recognizing the tablet.

Big question is what did ms fix in the type driver update they released tonight with tomorrows date on it and now changelog.

OP
bertopl

bertopl

where can I get the updated driver? there was nothing in windows update. I'm dying to know if it'll make a difference.

Ruffles

My surface pro started doing this. I would connected it and everything would be fine for about a min and then it would stop. After trying everything, I did a complete reset and I still had the problem. I thought it was a bad keyboard so I picked up another one with no joy - same issue. I called MS and they are sending a replacement. Since I've been waiting, I've tried a few more resets...the last one with a complete reformat. Now, the keyboard continues to work but the touch pad is very slow and laggy. I moved my finger across it and the mouse will slowly move across the screen and keep moving after I lift my finger. I took my Surface into Best Buy and my keyboard on their tablet worked perfectly and their keyboard that was working behaved just like mine when connected to my tablet. Give MS a call and get a replacement.

OP
bertopl

bertopl

I replaced the keyboard once and the new one behaves pretty much the same as the old one did. I think I'll stick it out for a little while before trying to replace the Surface. it takes me so long to get all my apps / data on there and configure everything to my liking, I don't really want to go through that again anytime soon. I'm just hoping for maybe a software update or something that'll hopefully resolve it.

kristalsoldier

I had this problem on surface number 2 and had to return it because it completely stopped recognizing the tablet.

Big question is what did ms fix in the type driver update they released tonight with tomorrows date on it and now changelog.

I also got some updates last night, but they were only for IE10, for the Flash Player and something (which was specifically labelled as a Windows RT update) that fixed the fonts issue (which I found out by looking through the Knowledge Base article). Did not get any update for the Type Cover - not that my Type Cover is acting up or anything.