What's new

Solved Type cover not working

David Lloyd

I had a similar issue where only a couple function keys were working when I first attached my type cover. I rebooted, remove and reattached the type cover. Nothing worked. I then found the link below which did resolve the issue. In Windows 8.1, click on Settings, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery, Recovery, and then Refresh your PC without affecting your files. I had to reinstall Office 2013, but the type cover is now functioning properly. Hope this helps someone.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/in...onding-surface-type-cover-2-keyboard-problem/

Gameka

My type cover is totally not working right after I spilled some water onto it.
Also, when connect the two, the Caps kept on blinking. Any one experience this issue and fixed theirs? Thank you la

khalidsafir

I fixed the problem! My surface pro 3's type cover and usb port suddenly stopped working and I solved it by simply "Refreshing" the computer. "Refreshing" the Surface reinstalls the Surface software.

Refresh by swiping from right of screen > settings > change PC settings > update and recover > recovery > refresh your PC without effecting your files.

I did something dodgy though. When refreshing, it doesnt give you progress updates, so you don't know if it's really refreshing or if the Surface has crashed. Anyway, so after about 20 min I just switched off the surface with the off button on the top. When switching it on again the Surface gave me a worrying error message, I clicked OK and then it told me Refresh didnt work and it was going to put the software settings back to how it was before Refreshing. When it "unrefreshed" I found everything was working!

So, basically Refresh the Surface or, if you're risky and want to save reinstalling software, Refresh + make it off half way.

Last edited:

Wargames

Both my keyboard and mouse stopped working. They started working again when I plugged it back into the docking station. They continued to work after I unplugged it too. Hope this helps someone.

TomSP

I have the TypeCover problem on my Surface Pro 2 on an occasional but recurring basis.

Sometimes I have found that connecting the keyboard in the opposite direction then turning it around the normal direction helps. Don't know why.... I just go with what works sometimes!

scH4MMER

My type cover appeared to die, completely non-responsive and no back-lighting. Full rebooting did not work, however doing a hard reset did work. First, I powered the machine down, then I held the volume up rocker and the power button for about 10 seconds, and the keyboard back-light suddenly appeared and now the cover works fine. I actually did the volume up rocker + power button trick twice because the first time I didn't see anything but I wasn't sure if I held it long enough - not sure if that was a double reset and whether that was necessary, so something to try if the first attempt doesn't work. Also, if you arrive at a BIOS screen (I didn't) I read that you can simply exit that without saving. Hope this helps!

Tsurugaya

My type cover appeared to die, completely non-responsive and no back-lighting. Full rebooting did not work, however doing a hard reset did work. First, I powered the machine down, then I held the volume up rocker and the power button for about 10 seconds, and the keyboard back-light suddenly appeared and now the cover works fine. I actually did the volume up rocker + power button trick twice because the first time I didn't see anything but I wasn't sure if I held it long enough - not sure if that was a double reset and whether that was necessary, so something to try if the first attempt doesn't work. Also, if you arrive at a BIOS screen (I didn't) I read that you can simply exit that without saving. Hope this helps!

Actually it isn't solved. While the hard reset will get the Type Cover back and running, if you disconnect it the TC is gone again when you reconnect it and you have to go through the whole hard reset process once more.

I'm not completely sure but I think the problem is USB driver related, because this thing can happen with other USB devices that you attach, remove and reattach. It is as if the run loop is too short if you have plenty of USB devices attached (and I have a lot).

zeddy

I have the TypeCover problem on my Surface Pro 2 on an occasional but recurring basis.

Sometimes I have found that connecting the keyboard in the opposite direction then turning it around the normal direction helps. Don't know why.... I just go with what works sometimes!

You sir, are a genius. I created an account just so I can +1 you. Refreshing the surface is a desperate solution...but this did the trick (even after I've reinserted the keyboard multiple times normally)!

Markos

My Type cover isn't working either (I have no backlight so I guess I have the first version?)
At first when it stopped working correctly it sometimes worked when it had a certain angle between the keyboard and the screen. Now I can't seem to find this "hotspot". I read this could be caused by a bad connection in the cable. So I want to open up my keyboard, but I have no idea how. Has anyone tried this before? Or does anyone know a site with photos how to do this?
I have a Surface Pro 1 and I think I have the first Type Cover

KiwiPete

Hi there,

I have a brand new SP4 and also have a problem with the e and l keys not working. I've tried a lot of suggestions for keyboard issues but without any luck.

Did you manage to resolve your problem? What was the trick?

Cheers,
Pete.

I've had the similar problem as you do.

My keyboard was working well about two or three days ago. I installed the new updates needed for my Surface RT prior to the issue. The only issue I have is that the letters E and L just won't work. I've tried everything from applying alcohol on the contacts, restart and then eventually refreshing my Surface RT, I also made sure that the Filter keys option was not marked, checking if I have installed all the latest updates (and if there were problems, I had it fixed), and my very last resort was to reinstall Windows with all of my files and apps deleted in the process. The letters E and L still won't work! In my frustration I also just shut it down, left it for about 8 hours before turning it on again but it still doesn't work. :cry:

I'm hoping that this may be a firmware problem. Any suggestions on how I can make my letters E and L work again? :disappointed: