What's new

Type cover not working since upgrade to Win 10

ezkii

Hi,

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my Type Cover has stopped working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, cleaned the connectors, detached and reattached, all to no avail. One thing I have noticed is when I boot the machine the volume toggle on the side won't work, but if I detach and reattach the Type Cover while the machine is on the volume toggle starts working again. The cover lights up so I assume it is a software problem somewhere, I just don't know where.

If anyone has had this problem and solved it I would love to hear from you.

Thanks heaps,

Ez.

GoodBytes

I don't have the problem. But you can downgrade to Windows 8.1 (Settings > Update & Security > Recovery), just to make sure that your keyboard still works. You can also try and go in the UEFI setup screen, and see if it works there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
At an Admin command prompt run sfc /scannow

If that gives errors it could not fix try it when booted to a command prompt.

If there are still unfixable errors run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from an admin command prompt then run sfc /scannow.

WendyD

Hi,
I have the same problem on my Surface Pro 3, but my system is Windows 8. Windows did system updates on Friday morning and after that I cann't reconnect my Type Cover. I didn't "Refresh my PC" yet. I have a friend with the same problem on Windows 8, she tried to upgrade to Windows 10, but the Type Cover is still not working. Please, note that my Type Cover is working, because I tried to connect it to another Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10) and it was working well.

If anyone has more information about this issue, I will be happy to read you.

Thanks,

Wendy

knackers1111

Try two button restart, holding volume up button while pressing power button for ~10 seconds. This worked to fix an undetected type cover, locked landscape orientation and undetected monitor via dock, which all occurred at the same time recently with me.

OP
E

ezkii

Thanks for the feedback all. Tried everything suggested but to no avail. Restored the Surface to factory and put Windows 10 back on and same problem now. I will contact Microsoft on Monday. Thanks again.