What's new

Type Cover No Longer Recognized

Sturmie

The type cover (regular, not fingerprint one) for my Surface Pro 4 was working fine until the latest update. Now I'm getting an "Unrecognized USB Device" error when connecting it. A co-worker has a SP3 and I tried his type cover, same thing...but my type cover works fine on his SP3. I've tried removing the USB drivers in device manager and re-discovering them, but no luck.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

verizonil

I had a problem with the type cover 2 being recognized. I tried everything and spent an hour with chat/phone support. There is a known bug with the older keyboards right now. I purchased a new SP4 keyboard today and it is working perfectly now. I will keep my type cover 2 and hope they come out with a patch soon.

unk11

Remove the device from device manager. Next time you attach, it should install the most current drivers.

OP
S

Sturmie

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried a reboot while connected?

Well, yes and no :). I rebooted numerous times before I found out that it actually connects via USB (essentially), which is when I removed the USB drivers and re-scanned for hardware changes in Device Manager. Even though that still didn't work, I had NOT rebooted after removing/re-adding the drivers. With the type cover connected, I rebooted and it does work...however, if I take the cover off and put it back on, I have to reboot again to get the SP4 to recognize it.

OP
S

Sturmie

Remove the device from device manager. Next time you attach, it should install the most current drivers.

What is under and what is it called in Device Manager? I looked all over and I couldn't find it.

When it isn't connecting properly, all that show up are a single "HID Keyboard Device" and "HID-compliant mouse"...when it's working, I get two "HID-compliant mouse" entries and a "Surface Type Cover Filter Device" in addition to the "HID Keyboard Device".

OP
S

Sturmie

It's happening again now...none of the old "tricks" seem to work. Funny thing is, even after the latest Windows 10 update, I could remove the cover, re-attach it and be good...but now, the keyboard isn't recognized at all and not showing up under Device Manager >> Keyboards at all.