What's new

Type cover no longer recognized after recent Windows update

Mikey94025

Sometime within the last 1-2 weeks my Surface Pro's type cover stopped working. Device Manager shows a failed "type cover" device under Other Devices (with an exclamation point on it). I don't think it's a hardware issue because if I hold down Power and Volume Up to get into the UEFI screen then my Type Cover keyboard arrows work fine to navigate the menus.
  1. Per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-your-surface-type-cover-or-keyboard I've tried uninstalling it and letting the driver re-install, but it just beeps continuously until I disconnect the type cover and then the Device Manager shows the same Other Devices failed device.

2. I also tried going to Microsoft Download Center and re-installing the latest Surface Pro drivers software. No change.

3. I also tried System Restore to go back to a system version from a couple days ago. No change.
Besides going to a Microsoft Store are there any other suggestions? Has anyone else had a Type Cover issue after a recent Windows Update?

Exact same thing that happened to me. The solution was to replace with another unit and install it from there. Surprisingly, the new unit worked fine upgrading with stock 1703 to the Fall Creator's 1709 with the latest updates.
Untitled.jpg

NeilOldGit

My Surface Type Cover and Surface Mouse stopped working suddenly 2 days ago but I can't link that to an upgrade. I suspect a download of Epson drivers but that may just be paranoia.
I spent around 30 hours downloading driver packs, resets, Bluetooth tests etc., without success. In Device Manager it said there was no driver and after downloading the drivers it would not recognise or run the new drivers. Did all the 2-button resets and tried everything else I could find on the forums.
The solution that finally worked was to use the Settings/Recovery/Reset This PC. Lost the apps but not the data so it's a bit painful but the Type Cover was OK after the reset and Windows re-install. The Surface Mouse still did not work and the Add a device on Bluetooth settings still didn't see it. Left it until this morning and hey presto, now it could see the mouse and all OK again.

Advice - don't waste too much time on the fixes - get on with a reset and spend your time backing up before you press the button.

OP
M

Mikey94025

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! This is a secondary PC for me so fortunately I can wait until I have a chance to drop by a Microsoft store and give them one last chance to fix my OS and/or see if another Type Cover installs correctly. If not, I will go through the (fairly substantial) overhead of resetting my SP and restoring everything. :-(

sctv45sr

Hello , my surface pro 3 type cover stopped working after installing windows 10 from the internet . The device manager can’t detect the type cover and also updated the newest version of windows 10 but no success . Anyone knows how to fix this , please help !!
Ps , the surface pen also not working properly , can’t use the touch and disconnects after a few second .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ If you can clean install from scratch, it'll fix it 50% of the time. In my case, even with clean install from Microsoft Store, the USB HID part never worked so they replaced my machine.

BTW, the new machine with fully updated Windows 10 1709 and its firmware updates worked normally

Last edited:

sctv45sr

^ If you can clean install from scratch, it'll fix it 50% of the time. In my case, even with clean install from Microsoft Store, the USB HID part never worked so they replaced my machine.

BTW, the new machine with fully updated Windows 10 1709 and its firmware updates worked normally

Can the type cover work in VMware , want to try it in VMware and see if it’s working and then reinstall the whole os.

sctv45sr

Doesn’t VMware still rely on the host driver for its USB HID ports so it may not work. Nothing to lose by trying though

I want to reinstall the new os on a usb , but can’t change the boot order . Any ideas ?
1425a63e3ba794decae967c6d98a7ca7.jpg

OP
M

Mikey94025

Sometime within the last 1-2 weeks my Surface Pro's type cover stopped working. Device Manager shows a failed "type cover" device under Other Devices (with an exclamation point on it).

Following up on this... I installed the 2018-03 Cumulative Update and then my type cover worked again. Problem solved!