What's new

Two Annoyances with SP3

sigma

1. Pen: The pen suddently stops working at random moments for no apparent reason (the OneNote button still works, but the two others do not, and I can't use the pen to control or write anything either). Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't before the next reboot. An other annoyance, sometimes the pen will react to the screen while it's not even touching it.

2. The power button will not lock the screen, but instead show me the "slide to shut down your pc" page. That began two days ago.

Am I the only one having these issues? This is my second SP3, and I am having the exact same issues as I had with the first one. The odd thing is that, I did not have any of these issues before the first two weeks of usage, on both devices.

Edit: I tried repairing the pen, but it's the same story. I'll try to replace the battery tomorrow, but I will most likely have to get a replacement.

And for the lock button, the toggles were both on sleep, so it seems like it is not the source of the problem.

Last edited:

ipaq_101

1) try to re-pair your pen and see of that solves it, if not contact MS support and they will send a replacement

2) When you hold the power button down a few seconds it always brings up the slide to shutdown pc, always has for me. Just try to press the button briefly.

kundas1

For #2 problem, you probably have it set to shut down when you press the power button in your power Config panel... because my SP3 doesn't do that when I press the button... check ur power config panel and change to sleep...

For #1 maybe your pen is defective?

Kif

I don't have the same issue with the pen. I would contact support on it.

I have one grievance of my own. The kickstand sometimes digs into my legs when I wear shorts. Someone needs to invent little rubber caps for it.

ctitanic

1. Try changing the battery
Capture.JPG

Michael M

My Surface Pro 3 has also just started displaying the slide to shut down your pc. Yes . . . the power settings are correct. That was the first thing I checked. Interestingly, if I set them to do nothing the behavior is the same.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Pro 3 has also just started displaying the slide to shut down your pc. Yes . . . the power settings are correct. That was the first thing I checked. Interestingly, if I set them to do nothing the behavior is the same.
That setting is enabled on any Windows 8.1/RT Connected Standby Machine...it is by design and kind of cool... :)

Jose Miguel

After 2 weeks, my sp3 has started displaying the slide to shut down as well. If this is by design how comes to have a two weeks delay.... I really don't like this sudden change. Any way to avoid this behaviour?

Clovismod

1) the best I've found is to remove the battery from the pen and and replace it with a new. No problem since. I suspect the quality of the featured battery to be poor.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) the best I've found is to remove the battery from the pen and and replace it with a new. No problem since. I suspect the quality of the featured battery to be poor.

I don't know if it is this (I could certainly be wrong!). I had the issue with the side buttons failing, so got sent a new pen after days of fiddling around, changing batteries, repairing etc. The old broken pen then sat in a drawer untouched for a week, and upon pulling it out (still with original battery back in it) it works flawlessly and continues to do so. Microsoft were adamant that it was a pen hardware fault, yet it somehow fixed itself all on it's own (AFTER having paired and used the new pen). I'm leaning more towards the idea of there being some software hokeypokey going on.

William Wang

With regards to issue #2 -- The power button will not lock the screen, but instead show me the "slide to shut down your pc" page. That began two days ago.

I had the same issue with my surface pro 3 and was able to resolve it by disabling "fast startup" per

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Confirmed the power button's now back to its old behavior (e.g. sleep), then re-enabled "fast startup" and confirmed that power button still works as expected.

Hope this helps !

Cheers