What's new

Solved Transitioning from Apple to SP3

OP
M

ManUnited

I'm not sure I'm getting the whole purpose of this thread.

This makes my point for me. On the first page I lamented that, "some topics seem unapproachable."

I did not start the thread for you get the purpose. I started to seek answers to what I deemed legitimate questions. There have been so great replies (the power cover comes immediately to mind); however, other replies have accused me of bias or some other ulterior motive.

Again, my original post stated, "I would assume many SP3 advocates would welcome neophytes such as myself." After all, I (and others) are the market MS is targeting — Apple users who are considering converting to the SP3. If a comparison is made between two devices and the conclusion is not in favor of the SP3, there is a either a rush to judgment or a rush to defend the platform.

I realize that PC v. Mac has devolved into pettiness. However, I can attest there are legitimate consumers who need to be platform agnostic. Perhaps this image will assist my argument:

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 1.00.01 PM.jpg

I will have 75 students this semester. Two weeks before class starts, I give a brief technology survey to gather data on where my students stand. As you can see the results from the first 21 respondents are 11 Mac and 10 PC users.

I am looking for the best equipment to teach my students. There is no underlying bias. If someone would convince a Commodore 64 would do that and I agreed, I would gladly use that.

As a Mac user, I was happy. I chair my department's DE and Technology committee and I serve on the University's DE and Technology committee.

Along comes the SP3 and MS's campaign that I can combine my two current devices into one. The advertising worked. I was wooed into buying one and the $150 education discount didn't hurt either. (As a bonus, I found surfaceforums.net, a wealth of information on my new device.) I would argue I was happier than before. I was down to one device, which was lighter and more mobile than the previous kit.

However, I noticed the promised battery life of 9 hours was not that. I understand all manufacturers embellish these numbers. I can accept this. But, I wasn't missing an hour. I was missing three — 1/3 of the advertised rate, a rate much higher than my other devices.

I turned to this forum. I was instructed to dim the brightness by 3/4. I was instructed to turn off many things. I was asked how close I was to the WiFi hub and a host of other questions I had previously considered with other devices.

I turned back to this forum and noticed I was not alone with some of these issues.

Yet, when I posed questions or made comparisons, again, I saw comments stressing "bias" or language such as "fanboy." Then, I see posts such as "I'm not sure I'm getting the whole purpose of this thread."

Evidently, I misjudged the purpose of this forum. My apologies.

ipaq_101

@ManUnited

A lot of people have already give you plenty of suggestions on how to improve battery life, I wouldn't discount their help.

At this point, looks like every suggestion is falling short of your needs, so maybe you were wooed by Microsoft inappropriately. I hope you are within your return period, if all else fails at least you can return it and go back to what works best for you.

You could have easily started a thread saying I need help getting to 9 hours of battery life, without comparing anything to Apple and I am sure the tone of this thread would have been very different. It would have been much easier to do so and it wouldn't have stirred such strong emotions from various users, but when you start with such rhetoric, it's bound to continue through the thread.

samurai

[QUOTE="@ManUnited, you could have easily just started a thread saying I need help getting to 9 hours of battery life without comparing anything to Apple and I am sure the tone of this thread would have been very different.[/QUOTE]

This^

Next time you want some help. Just ask for it.

Liam2349

Was Apple the one that started the comparisons and making Windows users to look like stupid and uneducated.

I watched the first three - they are literally some of the worst adverts I've ever seen. Not just because, like you say, they are designed to make Windows look bad. My main issue with these ads is that they just aren't true.

ctitanic

I watched the first three - they are literally some of the worst adverts I've ever seen. Not just because, like you say, they are designed to make Windows look bad. My main issue with these ads is that they just aren't true.
Correct. Most of them were pure lies.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would wait until MS releases the version for SP3.
Just my two cents, id buy one now to find out what you'll get out of it. Then sell it when the SP3 version comes out... because I don't know when that will be... 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months.

Microsoft finally gives the Surface Power Cover a release date -- March 19th

or you could buy a "Surface 3" to go with it LOL

malberttoo

One thing I have noticed recently is when I write something critical (battery life) about the SP3 (especially in comparison to an Apple device), I have sensed a hostility that was unwarranted and unnecessary.

I think part of the issue is that you have to remember that people are just people, and we all have different opinions, and different ways of expressing them. I have been told a few times that I "look mad", and that is because I am not smiling. Apparently when my face is completely slack and at rest, I look mad. But I assure you I am a joyful person, and usually happy. In the same way, we do lose some context when are all communicating with written words. I don't think many people here ARE hostile, but probably comes across that way sometimes. Also, people are different. Some people here are just naturally grouchy, or crusty, but that doesn't make them unkind or less helpful.

As far as the unhelpful ones... well life is a buffet. You take what is meant for you, and leave the rest.

As I posted in another thread, I would assume many SP3 advocates would welcome neophytes such as myself. For the most part, many of you have.

Yes, welcome. I do find it interesting the number of Apple users drawn to the SP3.

My point is that these devices are inanimate objects designed to assist us in our work or daily lives.

You can't forget though that for MOST people, this is not the case. The SP3 is not only the best Surface product I've ever used, but also the laptop/mobile PC that I've loved the most or been the most enamored with. I am partial to it, even though it's just an object... its an object that meets so many of my daily electronic needs, and is just flat-out FUN to use! So that kind of emotional response to the object definitely makes me more tolerant of its weaknesses or flaws.