What's new

Touch Input Delay

SpiritWings

Hello everyone, I will try to make this explanation as clear as I can. I need some help eliminating the input lag on my Surface Laptop Studio. I am a pianist and use the device to display my sheet music. While reading through the music, I have to touch the screen to swipe to the next page. If I recently changed the page (within 5 or so seconds), there is no issue. However, if I spend a larger amount of time playing through a single sheet of music before trying to swipe to the next page, the touch display doesn't register my finger touching the display for I'd say about a second or two possibly. It is very frustrating because for a vast majority of the time, page turns are in the middle of musical pieces making them very important to be continuous and I am forced to pause in the middle of the piece waiting for my touch to be registered. I also experience this with the Surface Modern mouse that I purchased alongside the SLS.

I have already done the latency adjustment where you change the 8 value to 2 (no idea what this is called, I think it was called registry).

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
hello, I tried to reproduce your problem using a PowerPoint presentation. Just swiping the screen to advance the slides I see an issue if I wait 15+ seconds between swipes. At approx 14 seconds it advances the slide instantly but longer than that I have to double swipe ... there's a lag. or it is as if a timeout occurred. I don't know how to fix this yet however when I used the touchpad on my Surface TypeCover I didn't experience the problem with up to 30+ seconds between slide advances (click the touchpad). I assume this would be the same using a mouse but haven't tried that yet.

Could you provide the name of the app you're using so I can reproduce it with the same app?

On the Modern Mouse it looks like it can be connected via 2.4GHZ wireless or BlueTooth ... do you know which method it's connecting? I don't have that mouse but I do have a wireless mouse and a separate Bluetooth mouse the settings for each may be different as other issues might come into play.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which Registry value you changed ... If you can provide more details on that it would be helpful.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok, I think I found the magic 8 to 2 registry setting ...
How to improve touch responsiveness on your Surface (or any Windows 10 PC).

I don't think this would have made any difference for you because I think the issue is: that a timeout is occurring that is disabling/pausing input detection. For a mouse/trackpad/keyboard this setting will have no effect at all ... and since you experience the same issue with a mouse confirms my suspicion.

I wonder if a wired USB mouse would work better for you ... If I recall correctly the TyepCover is a modified USB interface so maybe you'd get a longer time on that similar to my TouchPad test 30+ (seconds) I didn't see how far I could go before it timed out.

What's the longest time you'd spend on one page?

Last edited:
OP
S

SpiritWings

ok, I think I found the magic 8 to 2 registry setting ...
How to improve touch responsiveness on your Surface (or any Windows 10 PC).

I don't think this would have made any difference for you because I think the issue is: that a timeout is occurring that is disabling/pausing input detection. For a mouse/trackpad/keyboard this setting will have no effect at all ... and since you experience the same issue with a mouse confirms my suspicion.

I wonder if a wired USB mouse would work better for you ... If I recall correctly the TyepCover is a modified USB interface so maybe you'd get a longer time on that similar to my TouchPad test 30+ (seconds) I didn't see how far I could go before it timed out.

What's the longest time you'd spend on one page?
Hi GreyFox,

Thank you for the reply and looking into that. I played a couple of pages with my stopwatch going and it appears that I spend between 45 seconds and a minute on each page. I really hope this is not just something I will have to deal with. I do not have a USB mouse, but if you believe it could eliminate the delay I would look into one. The Surface Modern mouse is bluetooth.

Thank you much

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a wired USB mouse with up to a 1 minute delay on the powerpoint and it worked fine, no lag in the response.
then I used a 2.4ghz wireless mouse (uses a usb dongle to communicate with the mouse) and went up to 5 minutes and there was no response lag switching slides in powerpoint.

I'll try the bluetooth mouse next.

EDIT: The bluetooth mouse also worked with >5 minutes between advancing slides in powerpoint.

Perhaps there is an application setting ... that would affect this. If you can provide the name of the app I'll look into it.

As a workaround, I guess you could go through the screens in the app and take screenshots and then paste them into powerpoint or another app and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Jcverive

I suspect that the problem is caused by a battery-saving feature that increases latency for screen taps. If so, there ought to be a registry hack to solve the problem. Have you reached out directly to Microsoft and the music software developer's support webpage/email?