What's new

To charge or not to charge that is the question

City Builder

I was told by a co-worker that I should not use my Go all the time with it plugged in. He said that I should use it on the battery and let it fully discharge before charging it up again AND that it never gets to full 100% even though the meter shows 100% and it never truly gets to 0%.

Can I safely use my Go plugged in all the time without harming the battery life? Can I let it Go down to 50% and plug it back in without harming the battery life?

Thanks

abredt

He is correct. Do not keep it plugged in.
I kept my ASUS laptop plugged in and it destroyed the battery.
The battery was deep inside the laptop, difficult to access, so I had to dump it.
cb

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was told by a co-worker that I should not use my Go all the time with it plugged in. He said that I should use it on the battery and let it fully discharge before charging it up again AND that it never gets to full 100% even though the meter shows 100% and it never truly gets to 0%.

Can I safely use my Go plugged in all the time without harming the battery life? Can I let it Go down to 50% and plug it back in without harming the battery life?

Thanks
This comes up all the time and we have many threads about it...

Here is the official stance from Microsoft :
  • Once a month, recharge when it’s 10% or lower. You can recharge the battery whenever you want, However, it’s best to let the battery run to below 10% at least once per month before you recharge it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4483194

Plantje

What I understand is that most modern batteries are happiest when kept between 20% and 80%.
That said, my Surface devices never last long enough to worry about the battery. Had 7 Surface 3 devices and I am currently waiting for my third Surface Pro 2017 in a year

I generally let laptops, tablets and my cell phone die monthly to allow the memory keep the charge up to maximum capacity. Do not keep it plugged in or it will not retain a charge.