What's new

Tip: Faster wake-up time.

Frander

So I tried messing around with power saving settings and found out that waking up the device from hibernation is a lot faster than the default waking up from sleep mode. Just thought I'd share. :)

demandarin

Honestly, the pro or pro2 has one of the fastest wake up times. its so fast that even waking up after hibernation is just as fast as sleep. but letting your device hibernate more vs. sleep would improve battery life. you can go into each power profile settings and adjust how you want the device to act. like when you press power button. if you want it to sleep or hibernate. but technically, its supposed to wake up faster from sleep.

OP
F

Frander

Wake up from hibernation is way faster for me at least. I also made a quick Little test the past two days.

Sleep mode for 8 hrs: used 2% battery.

Hibernation overnight(7 hrs) from 73% to 72% then short schoolday approx 12 hrs total. Still at 72%. (Yeah I left the device at home because I don't have anything to carry it in properly yet.)

:)

Last edited:

D1vad

Why is that? Isn't hibernating the closest step to completely shutting device off?

Because you are writing to the SSD. If you set your device to hibernate quickly, that will increase the number of times it writes to the solid state drive. Personally I doubt that would be a significant issue for most users, but if you want the maximum life from your device, (long past the point it becomes obsolete) then hibernating would not be a gone thing to do multiple times a day.

oion

Hibernate isn't even an option in Windows 8.1 RT, hidden or not. Isn't hibernate a hidden option in Win8.1, so you'd have to unhide it first? Maybe it's hidden for a reason...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hibernate writes the contents of RAM plus the Page file to a file called hibernate.Sys, it is the size of RAM and Page file so on an 8GB machine it could be as large as 20GB (8GB RAM + 12GB Page File).

OP
F

Frander

It isn't hidden on my device :)

It seems that wake up from sleep is faster that hibernate on my device when I wake it up max 3-5 minutes or so after putting it in sleep mode. After 5 minutes it takes a lot longer to wake it up :s

where hibernate would be faster. Why is sleep mode slow at waking up after 5 minutes? :s

oion

It isn't hidden on my device :)

It seems that wake up from sleep is faster that hibernate on my device when I wake it up max 3-5 minutes or so after putting it in sleep mode. After 5 minutes it takes a lot longer to wake it up :s

where hibernate would be faster. Why is sleep mode slow at waking up after 5 minutes? :s

I see (re:hidden). As for why sleep takes longer to wake up than hibernate if you leave it for a long time... Yeah, I have no idea. I leave my Surface 2 on sleep overnight and it still wakes up instantly (though really I should have shut it down).

How fast is fast? On my SP2 Pro 256GB, I get from a cold boot to my password screen in about 10seconds. Are we talking about like 5 seconds or something?