What's new

Solved This device has been locked for security reason

Mark Vincett5

hi all

I install windows 10 Anniversary Update on my surface pro 3 all went well

When it started up next day came up with the login screen I entered my PIN and it came up with the message.

"This device has been locked for security reason."

It suggested that I leave it for a minimum of two hours and kept the machine plugged in

which it did then boot back in and the same thing

so ok thought do a clean reinstall got to the bit to do pin and it told me there was a problem with pin (any pin) so I skip it then went in to settings to add it that way but no luck will not add pin can, still use password ok but no pin

any help would be good

thanks

cld3000

The same thing happened to me on the 18th. I knew the two hour thing couldn't be right. I did a hard reset a couple times and finally was able to get back on using my microsoft password. I tried to use my pin after that and it said that I had entered the wrong pin to many times and ever since has not allowed me to create a new pin. It gives me the option, but when I enter the new pin, it just spins and then stops and nothing has changed. I can get in with my microsoft password but it irritated me that a $2000. computer that is only 9 months old has a glitch. Then some other mis. things started happening and finally today, all my sound notifications, like when Skype loads or when the tablet attaches/detaches stopped working. I finally called Microsoft. They took control of my computer and after an hour and a half, had everything working again EXCEPT THE PIN sign in. They finally told me they would have to research it some more and get back to me. That was 2 hours ago.

OP
M

Mark Vincett5

hi
its to do with the tpm
I had to do this

You have to clear the tpm.

If you have device encryption or botlocker turned on tum it off and decrypt drive other wise you will loose access to your data.

Run tpm.msc

Choose clear tpm on the left side.

Pc will restart .

Follow onscreen instructions.

After reboot you can use the encryption again and can change or add pin again.

hope this helps

cld3000

hi
its to do with the tpm
I had to do this

You have to clear the tpm.

If you have device encryption or botlocker turned on tum it off and decrypt drive other wise you will loose access to your data.

Run tpm.msc

Choose clear tpm on the left side.

Pc will restart .

Follow onscreen instructions.

After reboot you can use the encryption again and can change or add pin again.

hope this helps

cld3000

Hi and thanks for your input. I just wanted to follow up for anyone else that may have been having this problem. I waited for a couple days before I tried your fix as I was a little shy of messing with a component that I was unfamiliar with. I also know that Microsoft was supposed to be looking into the problem for me and had decided that I was going to call them back and read them your answer and have them do it, since they seem to need all the help they can get. Fortunately 2 days after you replied, Microsoft sent out another patch for all the bugs in their anniversary update. I held my breath as I tried the pin part. To my amazement, it worked! Finally all the bugs in my Surface book have been resolved!
Well, until the next update, at least! Thanks again, though.