What's new

Thermometer icon on the i5?

mahdi75

Hi,
I just saw a thermometer icon appear on my SP3 i5/8/256.
Actually, I noticed that the fan is running hard, while I'm doing almost nothing. then I checked task manager, and I saw that the system is taking ~15% of CPU, which is not too much for this hardware.
Anyway, I rebooted the system and I saw the thermometer icon for the first time.
After a minute, it started and booted normally.
I'm just a bit worried. I saw there was a bug in some i7s, but seems that the exact thing happened to my i5 (notice that it appeared during boot, not when system is up and running)

Btw, now seems that the temprature is normal.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't matter if anyone is or isn't, let MS know. as you rightly say, they've only so far addressed the i7 claiming it's due to a never been done before product (i7 in this form factor) which is definately not the same for a tried and tested i5

ZorMi

It seems that happens during boot if SP3 is too warm. I dunno if it happens during the regular usage.

ctitanic

Hi,
I just saw a thermometer icon appear on my SP3 i5/8/256.
Actually, I noticed that the fan is running hard, while I'm doing almost nothing. then I checked task manager, and I saw that the system is taking ~15% of CPU, which is not too much for this hardware.
Anyway, I rebooted the system and I saw the thermometer icon for the first time.
After a minute, it started and booted normally.
I'm just a bit worried. I saw there was a bug in some i7s, but seems that the exact thing happened to my i5 (notice that it appeared during boot, not when system is up and running)

Btw, now seems that the temprature is normal.
Could you tell us how your i5 got hot?

OP
mahdi75

mahdi75

Could you tell us how your i5 got hot?

Not sure. I even don't know if it was really hot, or it was a bug or something; Although the Surface was hot to touch, just like when I'm doing something intensive with it.
I didn't do anything intensive, just browsing the web with Chrome. Then I saw that "System" process is taking 15% of CPU, and overall CPU usage was below 30%.
I tried rebooting, and I saw that thermometer icon instead of usual Surface logo.

ctitanic

Not sure. I even don't know if it was really hot, or it was a bug or something; Although the Surface was hot to touch, just like when I'm doing something intensive with it.
I didn't do anything intensive, just browsing the web with Chrome. Then I saw that "System" process is taking 15% of CPU, and overall CPU usage was below 30%.
I tried rebooting, and I saw that thermometer icon instead of usual Surface logo.
Chrome. You don't have to say anything else.

OP
mahdi75

mahdi75

Chrome. You don't have to say anything else.
Yeah, I'm aware of Chrome, I know it generates more heat and reduces battery life.
But causing the Surface to overheat and show thermometer icon? I don't think so.
I use Chrome when I connect my surface to external monitor, basically when I'm doing desktop stuff.
sometimes I have Visual Studio, a VM and many Chrome tabs open, and my Surface isn't that much hot.
Clearly something else caused that.

ctitanic

Yeah, I'm aware of Chrome, I know it generates more heat and reduces battery life.
But causing the Surface to overheat and show thermometer icon? I don't think so.
I use Chrome when I connect my surface to external monitor, basically when I'm doing desktop stuff.
sometimes I have Visual Studio, a VM and many Chrome tabs open, and my Surface isn't that much hot.
Clearly something else caused that.
Every site is different and some can cause overheat because the amount of ads flash on them. Silverlight media players also can cause overheat.