What's new

The problem with Microsoft...

mitchellvii

In a recent interview, Microsoft's Windows CFO Tami Reller, was asked about the return of the Start Button in Windows 8.1. Here was her response:

Reller admits that the company has heard the cries for a Start button. "We have heard that, we definitely have heard that and taken that into account," she explains. "We've really also tried to understand what people are really asking for when they're asking for that."

What people are asking for when they ask for a Start Button is A FREAKIN START BUTTON! You don't have to focus group it, you don't have to create a panel of experts to figure it out. They just want a Start Button. This is MS's problem, THEY DON'T LISTEN, THEY FILTER. They take what the public says and filter it through the prism of what they want to do anyway. In another place this same person said,

"We do have an opportunity with Blue to address some of the feedback that we're seeing from customers and from the market,"

Some. Alrighty then.

Assuming MS wants Windows 8 to eventually have more than 5% of the market, let's hope MS gets Windows 8.1 right. Based upon these comments I have my doubts. In typical MS they will try and distract us with lots of fancy new features no one asked for while leaving the core problems in place.

Last edited:

d31dk

I agree that people have asked for a start button - but seriously, there are one on every keyboard, or on the screen on the Surface (Would asume on 3rd party too), and if you bring the mouse Down in the left corner in desktop mode. All this asuming that "Modern UI" is the new Start Menu.
I think that what people want is a start menu - not a start button.
I think it would be wise for Microsoft to bring it back (Start Button/Menu) - but i have not missed it one bit, but i think that a lot of people will be more comfortable with upgrade if they get the legacy view :)

tonyz3

The problem with microsoft is they need to just say tough crap to the minimal amount of people who say they want the start button but don't really even use it. Tell them to get over it and don't look back. I am glad to read that they are listening but they don't have to appease every whining baby out there. Especially when they are trying to move forward.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Microsoft admits failure on Windows 8

Microsoft admits failure on Windows 8 - MarketWatch

Well those few "whining babies" who want the Start Button sure seem to be making A LOT of noise for the CFO of the Company to mention it in a major interview. Plus you have to recognize that the ONLY source we have for the claim that "no one actually uses the Start Button anyway" is Microsoft themselves, hardly an objective messenger. As primarily a desktop user I use and have used the Start Button everyday since they created it. Apparently MS never spied on me to see how often I was using it.

Moving "forward" doesn't just mean "making different" it means "making better". Unless you have been living in a cave, you would be hard pressed to claim that Windows 8 in it's current state is "better" for the typical desktop user. Face it, MS designed their entire OS to be used by people with equipment (i.e. touchscreens) that 98% of desktop users don't even own! How is that "forward"? That is just DUMB.

Just put the freakin Start Button back and sell some software. Geesh. Windows 8 is like a bowl of delicious soup with a turd floating in it. Sure the soup is wonderful but the turd is doing nothing for my appetite.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The problem with microsoft is they need to just say tough crap to the minimal amount of people who say they want the start button but don't really even use it. Tell them to get over it and don't look back. I am glad to read that they are listening but they don't have to appease every whining baby out there. Especially when they are trying to move forward.

Lol, yeah go with that. The "tough crap" approach when dealing with unhappy consumers ALWAYS works.

d31dk

Microsoft admits failure on Windows 8

As primarily a desktop user I use and have used the Start Button everyday since they created it. Apparently MS never spied on me to see how often I was using it.

I think you have used the start button to access the start menu?? - And you can still do that from the button on keyboard or mouse in left corner, yes the "start menu" has changed layout

Moving "forward" doesn't just mean "making different" it means "making better". Unless you have been living in a cave, you would be hard pressed to claim that Windows 8 in it's current state is "better" for the typical desktop user. Face it, MS designed their entire OS to be used by people using equipment (i.e. Touchscreens) that 98% of desktop users don't even own! How is that "forward"? That is just DUMB.

See comment in Quote above.

I use Windows 8 on desktop everyday and actually think it Works great - start screen with mouse scrolling is great, and the gestures Works fine too. Not to go in to all the approvements that has nothing directly to do with UI changes.

tonyz3

Just put the freakin Start Button back and sell some software. Geesh. Windows 8 is like a bowl of delicious soup with a turd floating in it. Sure the soup is wonderful but the turd is doing nothing for my appetite.
Well it all makes sense now. Spoken like a guy with a turd in his soup. :wink:

DOS

1992 - Microsoft replaces the C Prompt with Windows 3.1. The world kicks, screams, calls them names, and cries... however, they eventually adapt.

1995 - Microsoft replaces the Window’s Program Manager with the Start Button. The world kicks, screams, calls them names, and cries... however, they eventually adapt.

2007 - Microsoft replaces the Office Menu Bar with the Office Ribbon. The world kicks, screams, calls them names, and cries... however, they eventually adapt.

2012 - Microsoft replaces the Window’s Start Button with the Start Menu. The world kicks, screams, calls them names, and cries... this too shall pass.

TeknoBlast

Instead of people focusing their energy on why o why the start button is gone and crying about having it placed back, why not focus all that frustration on learning to use and embrace the new Start screen. Welcome something new and difference I always say.

tonyz3

i agree, people are wasting energy on whinning about this button. When Win 8 first came out i jumped on it bc my DT an HP all in one was getting slow as molasses so i figured what did i have to loose. It was like i got a new machine. Yes i had some initial driver issue which have been resolved since and my HP screen does not support alot of win8 gestures, I had no issues or problems with using the mouse after about 5 mins of learning. Soon after i bought this to take care of the gesture issues . Amazon.com: Logitech Rechargeable Touchpad T650 with Windows 8 Multi-Touch Navigation - Black (910-003057): Computers & Accessories I havent even thought about the start button - well at least until about March 2013 #9796 :LOL: Was i the only one who pinned most of my often used progs to the task bar. Than after about 5 diff win 8 tabs i got the SP - set it up with 2 ext mons and use it every day as my primary system. From time to time i jump on DT - without its start button and mostly mouse only use - and dont even think twice about the OLD days. I am looking forward to when everything is all METRO.

TeknoBlast

Honestly, I had no issues navigating through Windows 8 Start screen with mouse only on my non-touch desktop. Everything you do with touch screen gestures, you CAN do it with a mouse. What I tell everyone with a non-touch screen using Windows 8, the right-button of the mouse will be your new best friend. Once you have that down, all so-called issues are gone.

Wayne Orwig

No idea why some people panic over the new start menus. When I first put Win 8 on my desktop, I couldn't understand it. A couple of hours later, I had the apps on the start screen and all was well. And IMHO, better in many ways.

Last edited: