What's new

The evolution of OneNote

jott27

Way back in time I had a Surface 2 with OneNote installed. I forgot which version it was. However, it had the capability to permit the use of two ways how to use it. One was similar to the current way of usage, but the second one permitted its use within a desktop environment. I liked it very much. In this, it listed the various notebooks in a vertical column, the sections on a horizontal tab line, and the various pages for the selected sections on the far right in a vertical listing. It also permitted the view of the sync status with the selection of automatic sync or manual sync. It also showed the progress bar for the sync action.
If you happen to have an older version of windows 10, you might be able to make a selection of what version of OneNote you wish to use. The newest version of W10 does no longer give you this option. So the progress in evolution has eliminated useful functions and leaves new users with the task to figure out what the new "improvements" are. Any one to care to point them out for our enlightenment?

Fast-T

You can still use the desktop version. MS just does not develop it any further.
I am with you. As much as I like the Universal App, it is missi g a handful of features such as page templates to choose from. I have engineering meetings and customer meetings, internal brainstorming sessions and strategic review meetings. Used to have templates for those and in the desktop version I simply choose which to use.
If this is implemented in the universal app, I'll switch.
Linked notes is also something I do not want to live without.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I just created picture and text containers. When I remove the container, I can re-arrange the page by clicking in any other container, then dragging it where I want it. Removing containers does not re-arrange your page.

In OneNote, you are not creating a page similar to how Microsoft Word works. You are creating a 'layout', similar to the way PowerPoint works. You are creating a layout.

In any case, here's how to start OneNote desktop:

In the search area, type OneNote.
Click on it with the mouse.

See picture.

OneNote.jpg

In any case, set your computer to start the OneNote version you prefer this way:
Change the default version of OneNote on your computer

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
On the bottom left of your screen, do you see a Cortana icon? This will search. Type there.
Or press the Windows key and S simultaneously.

OP
jott27

jott27

Sorry for my dumb question. I just realized what you meant. In your above post you showed clearly how to do it. I was just too dense to see it.
Now having gone the extra step, I click on "open", and presto the OneNote page opens, but it is just the normal variety and not the "Desktop" kind as could be used in earlier implementations. To be specific, the one where the sections are on a horizontal arrangement and the pages of sections are shown on the right side in vertical display.

Fast-T

Can you show me how I can get into a desktop version. If you can do it, I should also be able to do it; the question is HOW??
In my case I had to go into my MS account and install the 2013 version of Onenote from there.

This link should also work:

Download OneNote

2013 is the last version of the classic desktop app to my knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
jott27

jott27

In my case I had to go into my MS account and install the 2013 version of Onenote from there.
2013 is the last version of the classic desktop app to my knowledge.
What Windows version did you use to accomplish this? Could it be done in W10's latest version?

OP
jott27

jott27

In any case, set your computer to start the OneNote version you prefer this way:
Change the default version of OneNote on your computer
I don't want to flog a dead horse, so I will be content to live with the latest version of OneNote. But nevertheless, I would like to point out that your reference to this note on how to change the default version of OneNote applies only to older versions of Windows. The current version does no longer contain the feature to select alternative versions of apps.

msolok

There is a bit of missing information in this thread, I think. There seems to be some jumping to conclusions, and assumptions of knowledge.

So we'll start from the start. The default version of OneNote that Microsoft is now pushing is the UWP. It's got the more touch friendly, basic layout. It's the version that installs from the Windows Store, and the one that Installs when you install Office.
The other version of OneNote is the older 'Desktop App' version. The last version Microsoft has made of it is OneNote 2016. It does not install with Office, and can't be installed from the store. If you wish to use this version (which many people do as feature parity between versions has not been achieved) you will need to do the following:

1) Download the installer from here: Download OneNote Save it where you like, but the default download locations will be in your Downloads folder.
2) Go to where you have downloaded the file and double click on it. This will the open the OneNote installer.
3) Run through the installer. There is no need to change anything, just click next through it all.
4) Once it's completed you will have 2 versions of OneNote installed. To select the correct version hit the Windows key and start typing 'Onenote' (pressing the Windows key and typing is the same as clicking into the Search bar or Cortana icon on the Taskbar, I just find it more intuitive).
5) In the list of apps that you get there should be an entry for 'OneNote' (this is the simplified UWP app) and an entry for 'OnNote 2016' (which is the Desktop version). Click the OneNote 2016 icon.
6) Once OneNote launches you will need to sign into your account. This will be your Microsoft account.
7) Once you have done that click the option to 'Open other Notebooks'. Wait a minute for the page to load and click on your Notebooks to open them.
8) You will now need to wait for the sync to complete and then all your notes should be present.

You will now be free to use whichever OneNote you wish, depending on features. Your notes will sync between both, so you won't need to worry about losing anything.

Hope this helps.

OP
jott27

jott27

msolok : I followed your instructions to the letter and was successful to have OneNote2016 as an alternative to plain OneNote (the more up to date one) on my start page. But here is my problem: Using OneNote2016 requires me to sign in with my Microsoft account. I used the same ID and PW as I use for OneNote. This was rejected and prompted me to choose a different PW. THIS I WILL NOT DO.
There should only be one ID and PW for any MS related app. The only option is to uninstall OneNote2016.
Furthermore, I just found out that my Outlook has lost all the previous contact information. What a disaster !!

Last edited: