What's new

The disposable Surface...

Frum

For months I've been trying to find out what happens when - as it surely will - the battery in my SP2/128 finally gets down to the unacceptable level. I'd guess (from much previous experience) this will be about 2 years from day 1 of purchase.
Microsoft consistently evaded this question for many months. Yesterday I got an answer - if indeed what I learned can be said to be an answer.

Someone from Microsoft Surface "support" in Dublin called me. When pressed he stated that battery replacement would be about (wait for it) ...£750.
That's right, £750.
The SP2 / 128 is currently available new online at £680.​

For comparison manufacturer replacement of batteries for the iPad costs about £80 with a 5-day turnaround. No doubt at some point someone will be offering replacement of Surface batteries from their kitchen worktop at <£750 if you like gambling.

What a disastrous ripoff these things are. What a terrible mistake to buy one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would you take the word of someone you pressed for an answer when their only criteria for performance measurement is to get you off the phone. He told you something to get rid of you, I would have done the same. Just sayin.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Previously Microsoft had said $200 USD or ₡200 so not sure why you were quoted that high a number....

nipponham

Previously Microsoft had said $200 USD or ₡200 so not sure why you were quoted that high a number....
That $200 number was something thrown out during an AMA session and should be taken with a grain of salt. These is no official battery replacement service or price from Microsoft as of yet. Besides, $200 was mentioned only for SP3. For previous Surface models, the number was more like $450, and again, this was quoted from a CSR somewhere and not listed anywhere as an official price or service.

I think it’s true in a sense that Surfaces are “disposable” in that opening them up and repairing them is next to impossible. There was that infamous article on ifixit giving the Surface Pro 1/10 for repairability.

It’s not impossible to get at the battery but replacing it is labour intensive, risky, and more trouble than it’s worth. The $450 figure for the previous Surface models seem to back this up. You might be able to replace the battery at that price, but it might be better to pay a little bit more and get a new one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I preordered my Surface RT and got it the first day of availability. My Surface RT still has 85% of battery capacity and I haven't been real kind to it lately so there goes the two year theory, Next.
If I go through battery conditioning process it should improve from there.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't kept a Surface Device long enough to wear out the battery....

RT Oct 2012 - Sept 2013
SP2 and S2 Oct 2013 - June 2014
SP3 June 2014 - July 2015(?)

CrippsCorner

Batteries don't last forever on any product, why would you expect that to be different for the Surface? My mate's MacBook's battery died years ago... now he just leaves it permanently plugged into the mains.

Maybe not the perfect answer, but works for him!

ibenzawla

This is a bit scary. Just got my Surface 2 and now I have this to worry about in addition to whether Microsoft would scrap the ARM Surface line or even that it may or may not get the coming Windows 10. But then I love it for now.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I preordered my Surface RT and got it the first day of availability. My Surface RT still has 85% of battery capacity and I haven't been real kind to it lately so there goes the two year theory, Next.
If I go through battery conditioning process it should improve from there.
update: After running a couple of battery conditioning cycles the two year old Surface RT battery is back up to 94% of full capacity. I used the Battery test option of TabletMark V2.

So... one less thing to worry about.