What's new

System Hardware Update - ‎11/‎12/‎2013 Keeps reinstalling

owenw4rd

I installed the "System Hardware Update - ‎11/‎12/‎2013" on my Surface Pro on 11/12/13. The Update history shows it was successful.

I have Windows Update set to check for updates but not install them automatically.

I just noticed today that it was reinstalling the same update as if it were new:

A check for updates on 11/21 showed the same update as if it hadn't been installed. It installed again successfully.

A check for updates on 11/23 showed the same update as if it hadn't been installed. It installed again successfully.

A check for updates immediately after the install doesn't show the update needing to install. It shows up a few days later.

What is going on? Why does it keep detecting that the same hardware update needs to be installed?

I have BitLocker installed. Could that be the issue?

This is the first time I've ever seen Windows Update reinstall the same update.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a Touch or Type Cover? If yes, make sure it is attached during the update, if don't own one hide the update.

OP
O

owenw4rd

Do you have a Touch or Type Cover? If yes, make sure it is attached during the update, if don't own one hide the update.

Yes I have the Type cover. It's always connected when checking for updates. It's also needed for booting since Bitlocker requires a password at boot time.

D1vad

if you open device manager are you seeing any unknown devices? Or any devices with issues? how about directly after rebooting your device? and are you by any chance running any non Microsoft device drivers?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Then at this point, Suspend BitLocker and apply the patch, this typically is needed if it changing something at the Firmware Level which BitLocker can prevent. Your best bet is to look at the update's KB Article and see what it recommends.

OP
O

owenw4rd

if you open device manager are you seeing any unknown devices? Or any devices with issues? how about directly after rebooting your device? and are you by any chance running any non Microsoft device drivers?

No, all devices are recognized. No custom drivers.

I am running a program called 'Don't Sleep' which is a work-around for the SP sleep issues (where the sleep settings get ignored.)

I'll have to wait and see if this update shows up again.

OP
O

owenw4rd

Then at this point, Suspend BitLocker and apply the patch, this typically is needed if it changing something at the Firmware Level which BitLocker can prevent. Your best bet is to look at the update's KB Article and see what it recommends.

OK, I'll try that.

guillermomadrid

The same happens to me. I'm thiking that maybe is the Wacom Feel Driver that i've installed, but, if that was the case, after installing the hardware update the first time, it shouldn't appear again...

Weird.