What's new

System Firmware Update?

KSNelson1

Since the 1/21 firmware update, my SPro3 has been a nightmare. I get recurrent BSODs (Driver Power State Failure), and it will not enter and leave sleep mode properly. If it does sleep, when it awakes, everything is gone - it is as if it has shut down and restarted.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For those having BSOD issues with the last Firmware, rolling back the pen driver seems to fix the issue....

KSNelson1

This update screwed up my system. Random reboots with BSOD. Anybody experiencing these issues.
For those having BSOD issues with the last Firmware, rolling back the pen driver seems to fix the issue....
There appear to be several pen related drivers - under Bluetooth, and two entries under Human Interface Devices. Is there a specific driver to roll back? Thanks for your patience with me and my lack of comfortable knowledge about these things.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There appear to be several pen related drivers - under Bluetooth, and two entries under Human Interface Devices. Is there a specific driver to roll back? Thanks for your patience with me and my lack of comfortable knowledge about these things.
From Device Manager:

upload_2016-1-25_7-54-11.png

Right Click on Surface Pen Settings
Select Properties
Select Driver Tab
Select Rollback Driver

I'm cautiously optimistic about this update. My device now seems to properly honor "sleep" and "hibernate" commands (for the first time since I bought it).

I've noticed a couple of small flaky things (upon waking desktop icons have traveled to the other side of the screen, etc) but none of those are deal killers. VERY GLAD to have sleep and hibernate finally working!

Crossing fingers no BSOD's/random boots come my way :)

KSNelson1

I did notice that there was a new Intel HD 5000 driver installed yesterday according to my Update History. Since this update, I have not had any BSODs about driver power state failures (Fingers crossed). However, my SP3 does not seem to be handling sleep/instantgo properly. When it is re-awakened/opened, etc., it hasn't remembered anything. It is more like it had been shutdown rather than sleeping.

KSNelson1

I'm cautiously optimistic about this update. My device now seems to properly honor "sleep" and "hibernate" commands (for the first time since I bought it).

I've noticed a couple of small flaky things (upon waking desktop icons have traveled to the other side of the screen, etc) but none of those are deal killers. VERY GLAD to have sleep and hibernate finally working!

Crossing fingers no BSOD's/random boots come my way :)

Here's an update: I did have another BSOD D_P_S_F . And, although I put the machine to sleep using the Windows button > Power > Sleep procedure, when I opened the cover, it re-booted or re-started instead of merely awakening - all windows had been closed; some of them "improperly." So there still seems to be a problem with Sleep/InstantGo/Hibernation etc. and the latest firmware updates.

Buddn

I'm having the exact issues everyone is stating here (BSOD). Seems like Microsoft sent out a bad update. It's getting really annoying especially as a college student and constantly needing my computer. I rolled back the Surface Pen Settings Driver and I'll see if that helps the issue.