What's new

System Firmware Update 1/15/2015

cemian

Just curious has anyone else had this update keep reappearing even after it was installed? I looked in my history and it has been installed at least 5 times...and eventually it will keep reappearing as a new update to install again...it is just not sticking...anyone know what this update is for?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious has anyone else had this update keep reappearing even after it was installed? I looked in my history and it has been installed at least 5 times...and eventually it will keep reappearing as a new update to install again...it is just not sticking...anyone know what this update is for?
Are you using the Intel Reference Video Driver (i.e. the one downloaded directly from Intel)? If so the Update will attempt to over-write the Intel Driver if detected. Also, if your Cover Firmware has the Yellow "!" in Device Manager it will try to update the cover firmware but can't until that is fixed (typically by removing the entry and rebooting).

OP
C

cemian

Thanks for the reply! I have not installed any additional or replacement drivers..only what was already preinstalled and updated from the microsoft updates..I also looked in device manager and did not see any exclamation marks or x's ...everything looks installed without issues. I looked at the touch cover firmware update entry under human interface devices and the driver date on that is june of 2014...so not sure what the issue could be..unless this isnt getting updated

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply! I have not installed any additional or replacement drivers..only what was already preinstalled and updated from the microsoft updates..I also looked in device manager and did not see any exclamation marks or x's ...everything looks installed without issues. I looked at the touch cover firmware update entry under human interface devices and the driver date on that is june of 2014...so not sure what the issue could be..unless this isnt getting updated
Hmmmm...those would be the correct driver dates....What date is your Intel Video Driver?

PCAnyWhere

I have had the System Firmware update appear a few times after it came out. I've just come to accept it; but I only did a change such as remove and install Office 2013 (repairing an issue with OneNote) and regular windows Updates that come in.

Ryuuji

My Video Card Driver is also form 18.11.2014. I tried to update the driver trough the device manager, but it says it's already up to date? I got the system firmware update from January in the last few weeks 4 or 5 times. But it's only a few MB big 1-5 ish.

jeMLMar.png

buers

I seem to have exactly the same issue as the OP - actually I was just about to write a similar post because the update reappeared yesterday after a break of a couple of weeks. In the update history, each of the updates are marked as successful.

After I first recognized the repeated update, I made sure, that the type cover was attached. The second repeated time, I also made sure, the Surface was docked (using the original docking station, however I might not have been using an external monitor at that time).

Indeed, I also see a graphics driver date of november 18 2014. I had never installed the original Intel drivers, only what was provided by Windows update.

I wonder, if there is anything we have in common, that is the reason for this behaviour. As in the screenshot above, I have a German system, however i5 256 GB. I have set the system, to not apply updates automatically. I sometimes use Miracast Screen mirroring (with PTV3000). Unfortunately, it was not as reliable as with a Dell Vostro 3600 or Lenovo Thinkpads X220 and X230. OTOH I read here, that other posters had miracast problems after the current video driver update, so I wonder, if I really should force it manually.

Last edited:
OP
C

cemian

Well just out of curiosity I downloaded the updated video drivers directly from intel and installed them ...later I saw a new system hardware update 3/10/2015 with many other 8.1 updates and installed all of them ...so far the 1/15 hardware update has not reappeared ...we'll see how long that lasts :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well just out of curiosity I downloaded the updated video drivers directly from intel and installed them ...later I saw a new system hardware update 3/10/2015 with many other 8.1 updates and installed all of them ...so far the 1/15 hardware update has not reappeared ...we'll see how long that lasts :)
Coincidentally it was patch Tuesday with a boatload of patches I had 44 on one system. :)
but hey you don't have to FREAK out any more since that was patched. :D