What's new

Sync Android or Google Calendar with Windows Calendar in Surface?

jamesk

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I am trying to sync my Google/Gmail calendar with the calendar in windows. I got Live.Com/Outlook.com to import my Google Calendar by subscribing to my Google accounts ICAL. However, it will only import when first subscribing then it will not automatically sync anymore. Am I doing something wrong? To update my Google Calendar in my Surface Calendar, I have to reset the ICAL address in Google, then subscribe it in the Surface calendar again. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make the Surface calendar sync/refresh my Google calendar automatically?

davieboy

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I am trying to sync my Google/Gmail calendar with the calendar in windows. I got Live.Com/Outlook.com to import my Google Calendar by subscribing to my Google accounts ICAL. However, it will only import when first subscribing then it will not automatically sync anymore. Am I doing something wrong? To update my Google Calendar in my Surface Calendar, I have to reset the ICAL address in Google, then subscribe it in the Surface calendar again. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make the Surface calendar sync/refresh my Google calendar automatically?

you are not doing anything wrong. There is no 2way sync with the calendar app and google calendar. There are 3rd party sync options that you can pay for. Bad form on google for dropping this support for gapps for business users.

Wayne Orwig

Can you just switch everything to Outlook.com? I did that for my home account.

For my work account I have a different situation. I wanted a work exchange server private Outlook calendar to show up on my S4. So I purchased a program called CompanionLink. It syncs that work calendar to a Gmail calendar. So my S4 has my personal calendar on Outlook.com synced to it, plus my work calendar from my work exchange server synced to it through Gmail.

I like my S4, but I don't care for the Gmail calendar situation. I'm working to migrate everything to Outlook.com / OneDrive.

Last edited:

beq

That was what originally got me to start migrating my family's Google Apps for Business paid accounts to Exchange Online enterprise accounts.

I tried Outlook.com (with Windows Live Domains) but it didn't fit our needs. Only 5GB initial quota (10GB w/ ad-free upgrade) means larger Google accounts can't be fully migrated. Also, Windows Live Domains insists on hosting all the DNS records for your domains and will suspend your domain mail otherwise (it checks weekly). But then you can't use advanced features such as MX relay or gateway filtering services.

One of the drawbacks with Exchange Online / Office 365 hosted email though, is that it's geared for OneDrive for Business (SharePoint) integration, whereas I want my family to just use the consumer OneDrive :(

OP
J

jamesk

I solved it. I installed the Outlook.com app from the Google Play Store and switched all my calendar events from "my calendar" to the outlook calendar and now when I add an event in either my S4 or Surface, it syncs automatically to both devices.

Wayne Orwig

I solved it. I installed the Outlook.com app from the Google Play Store and switched all my calendar events from "my calendar" to the outlook calendar and now when I add an event in either my S4 or Surface, it syncs automatically to both devices.

If it matters to you.....
You can directly access Outlook.com using the built in S4 account sync. So everything shows up as if it was on Google, and you don't need tha extra Outlook.com app.

OP
J

jamesk

Only thing I don't like about using the built in Outlook.com sync via the exchange server is that you can't change the color of the Outlook calendar events. I keep getting pink/magenta assigned for my Outlook calendar.

godashram

a side effect of using windows mobile and windows phone BEFORE google killed of support for exchange sync is that you can still use it! try accessing https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/ on a mobile browser.... from there you can see all devices you have ever synced. select one and you'll get a settings screen, including calendars, to sync. Now I am using a windows phone, but since it's all on my MS account, everything appears on my surface calendar as well.

I can also add events on my surface pro/wp8 and they appear on my google calendar as well as long as i select one of my shared google calendars.

Been using this since windows mobile 5, so quite a while, and google will no longer allow new users to use this method. too bad.

Last edited: