What's new

Solved Surface won't connect to Mobile Hotspot?

Gsmphonesource

I'm trying to connect my surface to my iphone 4s mobile hotspot. The surface won't pick up the network when I go to check for the hotspot in the network list. My other devices will connect. My surface can't even find the hotspot. Does anyone have any similar issues or a solution to this problem?

zanda61

I'm having the same issue and wonder if there is some sort of setting that needs to be changed. To get around the problem, I paired my iphone 4S as a Bluetooth device and then connect to the iphone's hotspot by using the Bluetooth connection. It works fine, but it's not as quick to do and requires several steps. Also this was done in the "desktop" environment in case you wanna give it a go.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
So, maybe i've found a solution:
Get rid of any special character in the name of your phone (Settings -> General -> about -> Name). Reboot and try again.

Source

LA33R

I don't really know how I can help because my surface connected to my 4S flawlessly. Did you connect via WiFi hotspot, or Bluetooth/USB. mine worked using WiFi and that is the only method I tried.

zanda61

Get rid of any special character in the name of your phone (Settings -> General -> about -> Name). Reboot and try again.

Source

I tried this solution and found that I indeed had an apostrophe in my iphone name. I reduced the iphone name to one word and the problem is solved. Thank you so much for your help in this solution. This issue has really been my only niggle with this device so far. The more I use it the more I like it.

Source
Thanks very much for this solution! iPhone put an apostrophe in my iPhone name and once I got rid of that I was able to tether.

Awesome!

Jesse