What's new

Surface waking from sleep & Windows Hello issues

CL78

Hi all,

I am new to this. I have SF pro 4 i5 256. I have been searching the forum and found many other users have similar issues. When waking up by pressing the power button from sleep mode, the screen stays black and I have to do a force restart. I have updated my Intel driver, and recently, I have enabled Window Hello, which at first seemed to resolve the problem. Recently, Window Hello would recognise me, but the screen background remain black, and not fully awake. Once again, I have to resort to force restart. In general, this would happen to me 2-3 times a day. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Cerif27

It's an ongoing issue. I get the impression everyone is having the problem. I've had the problem twice this morning and twice last night. Some people have found win+P twice helps, some have found tapping volume+power helps, and most have found that they have to hold volume+power for 20 seconds and then restart is the only thing that helps. To the best of my knowledge no one has actually fixed the issue, including MS, but I would love to be wrong.

leeshor

Certainly not everyone. I'm aware of 40+ Surface Pros not having that problem including 3 SP4s I support and mine.

rquellet

I'm having this issue on my i7 SP4. I tried all the fixes and driver updates. I reverted back to stock graphics drivers and turned off Windows Hello. This is a real problem and I am strongly considering returning the device. The least MS could do is acknowledge the problem. Even better would be a status and ETA for a fix. Better yet would be a beta fix for industrious owners to test out...

2_hotty

I'm having the issue as well. I found that after I flip it off, then back on (with just the black screen coming on) and wait for a couple of minutes it pops back on, on it's own. It happens a lot more when I'm changing the DPI scale going from my dock to holding it. I've since stopped changing the DPI scaling, and I haven't had it happen yet, but I don't think that's what was causing it. Also it sucks not switching. Still not enough to go back to my SP3 though, I love this thing.

It is super annoying. Hope it gets fixed quick.

Cerif27

Seems I had accidentally left Connected Sleep off in the registry. After I turned it back on it seemed to work fine all day. We'll see if it keeps up. Though it seems part of this problem was supposed to be fixed by the firmware/driver update earlier today.

rquellet

I installed the firmware update for the graphics driver tonight. The driver is the same version as the beta...

More great news! I had to perform a hard reset tonight (post updates), because my Surface wouldn't wake up. I really enjoy losing all of my work at random intervals. Spice of life right?

Please fix this or this device is going back...

OP
C

CL78

Sympathy for all who have suffered the same issue as me. The Win + P worked for me once and not the other time, which I had to do restart using Power + Volume up. Such a great device but yet...I think I wouldn't trade in, but at the same time, would think twice taking out in meetings in case that's the time it fails...