What's new

Surface touch cover trade-up discount?

mitchellvii

You know what would be an awesome promotion for Microsoft and a way for them to say Thank-you! to early Surface adopters?

Provide a trade-in program for existing keyboard covers in exchange for the new much much much better covers. Maybe a $50 or $75 discount. This would get existing users sporting the new covers which would be good walking advertising for the whole new Surface look and feel. I plan to call Microsoft tomorrow to suggest this.

demandarin

dang, both threads are great ideas. or even better give original pro owners a nice discount on the power cover coming out. or the workstation.

just give us a nice amount giftcard to say thanks and we can apply it to any new accessory or ms device.

Rallicat

Whilst I would really, really love for them to do something like this, I think it's highly unlikely.

Microsoft haven't been prepared to drop the price significantly on the new Surface products, so they certainly won't want to effectively buy back old kit that they'd probably have to scrap or recycle.

Your best bet for getting some value back on your existing Surface products and accessories is to either find a third party organisation that will give you cash for tech, or sell it on eBay!

CrippsCorner

This idea I don't need so much but yes of course would be nice... but it doesn't really make economic sense for them, what are they going to do with the old ones?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well they are taking old iPad's and iPhones in as trade, why not old keyboards? Think about it, we already have a keyboard and don't "need" one but if they allow us to trade our old one in they are making $70 bucks they would not have made otherwise and their cost on these things is very low.

ALLCAPS

Old iOS devices have value, and can be sold wholesale to refurbishment joints that make money reselling them or scrapping them for parts. I doubt the same could be done with old Surface keyboards. Maybe they could do it as a thanks to people who took the plunge and early adopted.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Old iOS devices have value, and can be sold wholesale to refurbishment joints that make money reselling them or scrapping them for parts. I doubt the same could be done with old Surface keyboards. Maybe they could do it as a thanks to people who took the plunge and early adopted.

I would not be surprised if this happened.