What's new

Surface Tips

mlknez

Here are some of the things that I have learned that I wish I knew earlier...

1. Buy the biggest SDXC card you can right away
2. Many programs will not install to a removable drive (sdxc card) so create a directory junction on drive c: to drive d:
2.a window key+x, command prompt (admin), cd\, mklink /j drived d:\, exit
2.b now you can refer to drive d: as c:\drived and your programs will install and work on your sdxc card
3. Window key + x is your friend
4. Window bezel button + Vol up = narrator on/off
5. Window bezel button + Vol down = screen shot to clipboard
6. Window bezel button + power button = ctrl+alt+delete
7. From powered off, power on button + Vol up = bios settings
8. From powered off, power on button + Vol down = advanced boot options
9. Turn off hibernate feature and save about 3GB of space
9.a window key + x, command prompt (admin), powercfg /h off
10. Get rid of recover partition, put it on a cheap usb 3 memory drive and save 7.8GB of space
10.a insert usb 3 memory drive in usb port
10.b window key + x, run, recoverydrive, choose copy and follow prompts, choose to delete recovery partition

seaham358

Some great tips... thanks... I need to learn more about computer..
Recovery partition.. where is this? I don't see it like on my lap top.. laptop it was another drive.. I only have c drive on pro
I read your directions on how to copy it, any way to see it?

Thanks Bob

OP
M

mlknez

Some great tips... thanks... I need to learn more about computer..
Recovery partition.. where is this? I don't see it like on my lap top.. laptop it was another drive.. I only have c drive on pro
I read your directions on how to copy it, any way to see it?

Thanks Bob

Window Key + x, Disk Management

Remember window key + x is your friend

It just takes up space and is unavailable for you to store anything, that is why you want to copy it off and delete it to give the extra space back to your C: drive

johnknee

Thanks mlknez! Tip #2 will come in handy when creating SDXC cards for specific applications; ie: Adobe Master Collection card.

thirst

Here are some of the things that I have learned that I wish I knew earlier...

1. Buy the biggest SDXC card you can right away
2. Many programs will not install to a removable drive (sdxc card) so create a directory junction on drive c: to drive d:
2.a window key+x, command prompt (admin), cd\, mklink /j drived d:\, exit
2.b now you can refer to drive d: as c:\drived and your programs will install and work on your sdxc card
3. Window key + x is your friend
4. Window bezel button + Vol up = narrator on/off
5. Window bezel button + Vol down = screen shot to clipboard
6. Window bezel button + power button = ctrl+alt+delete
7. From powered off, power on button + Vol up = bios settings
8. From powered off, power on button + Vol down = advanced boot options
9. Turn off hibernate feature and save about 3GB of space
9.a window key + x, command prompt (admin), powercfg /h off
10. Get rid of recover partition, put it on a cheap usb 3 memory drive and save 7.8GB of space
10.a insert usb 3 memory drive in usb port
10.b window key + x, run, recoverydrive, choose copy and follow prompts, choose to delete recovery partition

It seems that when my SP goes to sleep, it is still using battery. As a result, I've changed the power button to hibernate so that it shuts down more deeply and note use any battery. Am I doing something wrong with the sleep function? I want it to not drain my battery when I am not using it - what's the best way to accomplish this?

J515OP

Super Moderator
It seems that when my SP goes to sleep, it is still using battery. As a result, I've changed the power button to hibernate so that it shuts down more deeply and note use any battery. Am I doing something wrong with the sleep function? I want it to not drain my battery when I am not using it - what's the best way to accomplish this?

To use hibernate just as you have done. Sleep is not that efficient.

Jay Slasher

Since using the Micro SD with a directory junction i've noticed that transfers between my internal SSD and Micro SD seem slower. (Especially when installing an application). is this normal?

Kingston 64GB Micro SDXC Class 10, Writes at 13-15mbps and reads at over 30mbps.

qitupx

Hmm that is a bit better solution than what I was doing. I just created a VHD and mounted it. Performance is pretty bad through. I tried to run starcraft 2 on the SD card and it was a pretty bad experience loading time wise.