What's new

Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186

brosenz

I have my SB2 15" in clamshell mode with an external monitor connected via DP using the Surface Dock, randomly I will get this errors, I also have permanently installed a micro-SD card 256GB for daily backups. I get multiple "Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186" errors in Event Viewer:

Attachments

• Tcon Driver.png
    Tcon Driver.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,033

wynand32

I'm getting that error as well. In searching it, I'm finding references to the graphics driver relating to the Surface Pro. So it's not specific to the SB2, and there are some references to this being worth returning/exchanging for. I'm not experiencing any problems that I can identify because of it, however.

OP
B

brosenz

I did more research and the event only happens when the SB2 is connected to an external monitor via the Surface Dock, meaning I don't think there is something wrong with the SB2 itself to request a return or exchange, it is the handling of the external monitor who is wrong, it could be the SD itself, or something else.

OP
B

brosenz

Here there is a screenshot coming out of Standby, the 2 events before the Tcon Driver error are:

The system is exiting connected standby
The system is entering connected standby

Attachments

• Tcon Driver Event Viewer.png
    Tcon Driver Event Viewer.png
    266 KB · Views: 1,088
OP
B

brosenz

I updated both graphics cards, the Intel UHD 620 and the NVidia 1060 to the latest drivers from the Manufacturer website, nothing the same error: "Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186" keeps popping up in Event Viewer.

OP
B

brosenz

I'm getting that error as well. In searching it, I'm finding references to the graphics driver relating to the Surface Pro. So it's not specific to the SB2, and there are some references to this being worth returning/exchanging for. I'm not experiencing any problems that I can identify because of it, however.
I updated both graphic cards with not positive results. I think this error could be Windows or Surface specific.