What's new

Surface Tab 3 BIOS/UEFI password lost

normaprice2003

I just purchased a Surface Tab 3 from a friend and it won't boot past the red Surface screen. I thought if I could boot to a USB I could reinstall Windows. However I have to change the boot order and someone put a password on the BIOS/UEFI and no one knows who did it or what the password it. If I hit enter at the password I get 2 options. Device Information and Exit.
Is there another way to reset this tablet or is it garbage?

OP
N

normaprice2003

@normaprice2003 ,

There is a chance that the BIOS/UEFI password was reset using a scheme which is based upon the manufacturer of one or more components. It is worth a try.

Visit this website, and use Option #2: How to recover or reset a BIOS or UEFI Password for Windows computers (thewindowsclub.com)

Thank you so much. It didn't work though. I tried the # 2 suggestion like it says and I don't get any messages. I tried the F2 and F12 key as per their instructions and still didn't get anything.
I'm not sure if there is a CMOS battery that could be pulled or not. I've seen different opinions on that so I guess the trash can is getting a nice tablet

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This video shows how difficult that Surface Pro 3 is to service. But rather than trash it, you may want to extract the SSD. It is still useful in a cheap enclosure as an external drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, if you could just go to a website and unlock it; it wouldn't be worth having to type it in once much less every time you boot up. Sorry but this is encouraging to see although bad for you.