What's new

Solved Surface stutters (experiences dropped frame rates) during simple tasks like scrolling.

Nikhil

When doing simple tasks on my surface pro 3 (like opening the start menu, and scrolling in apps like the windows store), the surface experiences a few dropped frame rates almost rhythmically every few seconds. Is there any way I can improve the performance of the device to handle such simple tasks smoothly?

Also note this is a brand new device with practically nothing installed on it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you installed ALL the Windows Updates yet?
If Windows Update is downloading or installing updates in the "background" this will happen because it's not really a background process. It's background only in the sense that you don't "see" it and it will happen "automatically" however Windows Update will totally dominate your computer, there's nothing background about that.

rquellet

When doing simple tasks on my surface pro 3 (like opening the start menu, and scrolling in apps like the windows store), the surface experiences a few dropped frame rates almost rhythmically every few seconds. Is there any way I can improve the performance of the device to handle such simple tasks smoothly?

Also note this is a brand new device with practically nothing installed on it.

I noticed this behavior after installing f.lux (screen tone program). It turns out that f.lux polls the screen every second or so and by doing so caused a frame to skip. F.lux has a "Safe Mode" option that doesn't do this. After turning that on, I haven't had any dropped frames.

Look for programs that run in the background that might be "polling" at a set interval and turn them off one by one until the frame rate is smooth. Tray applications are a good place to start.

Good luck!

OP
N

Nikhil

I noticed this behavior after installing f.lux (screen tone program). It turns out that f.lux polls the screen every second or so and by doing so caused a frame to skip. F.lux has a "Safe Mode" option that doesn't do this. After turning that on, I haven't had any dropped frames.

Look for programs that run in the background that might be "polling" at a set interval and turn them off one by one until the frame rate is smooth. Tray applications are a good place to start.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! you were right, flux was the cause of my problems. After I disabled it my surface has not stuttered at all!

Thanks again rquellet, you're awesome!