What's new

Surface screen somewhat yellow!!

BigAtom

I have a new Surface Book 2 15" i7 and the screen whites look rather yellow to me, almost as if Night light mode is on but not quite that dark. I was pretty sure this was the case with my Book1 13" when I got it 2 years ago but carried on anyway as I generally had that screen off. The Book2 is somewhat more noticeable so I need to know if it's faulty.

I have the Surface dock hooked up to a 32" Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q all the colours look correct but the Surface Book 2 screen looks like it has a yellow tint to the whole screen (not just when docked). I've tried the windows calibration but still can't quite get the white I'm looking for.

Attached is a photo of both Book1(left) & 2(right) and my Dell. It was taken with my phone so it didn't really pick up the colours very well (probably 20% more yellow that reality) but it does show the difference between the Book1 & 2 compared to the Dell monitor. Also this photo doesn't show that the Book1 is a slight bit yellowish compared to the Dell.

Do I have a faulty screen or a faulty ICC profile (surface-srgb-enanced.icm)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    299.1 KB · Views: 815

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, @BigAtom,

Unfortunately, I do indeed believe your Surface Book 2 15" i7 is faulty. I have the same device, and it is bright, white, and spectacular. It is well worth you getting this replaced soon, as you have an excellent device there.

OP
BigAtom

BigAtom

Thanks. I was hoping it wasn't and just a setting I had forgotten or didn't know about. Oh well back it goes then.

OP
BigAtom

BigAtom

Ok. New device replacement but same problem right out the box :(
As soon as I booted it up and saw the white 4 square windows logo on the black background I could see it wasn't right. Even my friend said that it looks yellowish without me prompting her so I'm happy to know it's not just me that see's it.
Am I missing something here? Is this a new industry calibration standard setting to stop people getting bad eyesight or something?! Another faulty device dagnamit!!

Attachments

• 20181002_105454.jpg
    20181002_105454.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 688
  • 20181002_105531.jpg
    20181002_105531.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 729
  • 20181002_113720.jpg
    20181002_113720.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 662

spinachpie

Same thing with mine. Had two now with the same issue. Have you changed the display settings to reduce the red and green/blue balance? That solved the yellow issue but created random flickering of the device.

OP
BigAtom

BigAtom

Yes I tried tweaking the colour calibration and loaded a few different profiles but could never get a good enough white :(
So will have to wait for the book 3 I think.