What's new

Surface RT with Type Cover 2 touchpad erratic after firmware update?

zahgrim

I didn't see a forum specific to Surface RT, so I am posting in general.

I have a Surface RT and Type Cover 2. I verified my 8 RT recovery image before applying 8.1, and I have recovery drives for both editions. I rolled back to 8 to verify after 8.1 has been applied that 8 can still be recovered. After verifying a good 8 recovery, I proceeded recover back to 8.1 (wiping the drive in all recovery . Before recovering, I observed Windows Update detected an eligible update "System Firmware Update - 1/15/2014". Figuring it must be specific to 8, I proceeded with the restore. Unsurprisingly, 8.1 also detected and has now applied the update.

Since the update, the touchpad on the Type Cover 2 jumps erratically when I let up. To rule out software, I booted to the 8 RT recovery drive, and the setup dialog also exhibits the same touchpad erratic behavior.

This URL cites the following and gives me reason to think it could be related:
Microsoft Surface RT update history | Surface firmware updates
January 2014 updates
Windows RT 8.1

Surface Type Cover 2 firmware
These updates improve the experience of using a second generation Type Surface Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.
Surface Touch Cover 2 firmware
These updates improve the experience of using a second generation Surface Touch Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.

Has anyone else seen this type of issue?

kundas1

I know on my ex's Surface RT, the typepad stopped working with one of the updates... no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work! thinking it was her typepad I attached it to MY S2 and it worked... still haven't figured it out to this day...