What's new

Surface RT dead pixel

lordjohn

I just got a new surface rt, sealed perfectly, but there is a very big visible dead pixel, since I have not experienced any dead pixel in many years, any LCD, LED, TV, pad or phone I bought after 2006 have no dead pixel or that can be see very easily, So I am wonder is this a big dead pixel or few dead pixels in the same location? I can see it with out using any program or white background. it is show dark in every color.

I called the reseller, but they say only more than 3 dead pixel will get a replacement. but I feel this big spot seems more like few pixels dead in same spot.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20150122_102847.jpg
    IMG_20150122_102847.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 637
Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

If it was a reputable reseller I would think they should replace it but you may want to call Microsoft to see what their policy is.

OP
L

lordjohn

Welcome to the forum

If it was a reputable reseller I would think they should replace it but you may want to call Microsoft to see what their policy is.

Thanks, but I bought one few weeks ago from lazada online, which had a big scratch on screen, then I change one, however it had cracks on the keyboard docking, some small scratch on screen, I contacted MS, spent a lot of time, MS would be happy to do a replace, but replace from MS may or may not be a refurbish, so finally I returned it to the reseller. very bad shopping experience, since all are perfectly new and sealed but makes me feel they are refurb. and I even checked with MS they confirm these are new not refurb.

So it's kind of making me feel it is standard QC for MS surface RT, since price has dropped a lot, if many of us are getting some problem such as dead pixels or scratches, I would hope to put a stop to this, and just use this one as it is(I love surface very much, very productive), since it took a lot of time to send back and then wait for replace, and check again, update, etc.

Just hope to get some suggestion, is that black spot one dead pixel or few dead pixels on the same location? thanks

I have never get a dead pixel after 2006, 4 ipads, 3 iphone, 3 asus win8 notebook, 1 lennovo win7 notebook, 1 acer win7 notebook, 3 andriod phone(cheap brand), many led monitors and TV, I always just load white, red, green and black back ground, if ok, I think there is no dead pixel. but for the picture I uploaded above, the spot on surface is always visible, will it become bigger?

Last edited:

leeshor

Dead pixels were more common many years ago but though it still happens it has become more rare. But I am a little suspicious about some of the issues you have had as they are more rare. I think I would be suspicious of the reseller in this case. Larger resellers have people who know how to make a returned system look like it had never been used.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure who is refurbishing these but I doubt it's Microsoft. Selling an item as new that's not new would be illegal in the US. These things will be floating around in the marketplace for years unfortunately. I'm sure MS unloaded all of them a long time ago to liquidators and they have taken on a new life in the aftermarket. If it was in a new package it was probably just 'repackaged'.

Last edited:
OP
L

lordjohn

Not sure who is refurbishing these but I doubt it's Microsoft. Selling an item as new that's not new would be illegal in the US. These things will be floating around in the marketplace for years unfortunately. I'm sure MS unloaded all of them a long time ago to liquidators and they have taken on a new life in the aftermarket. If its was in a new package it was probably just 'repackaged'.

I was thinking the reseller may have a way to repack, but how they make the MS seal? since I have open 3 boxes now, it seems impassible to reseal them back, and the box may even damage if try to remove the seal, so they must have new box and MS seal for repack?

leeshor

That resealing you wonder about is not all that difficult. There are lots of fake phones around, especially the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the packaging looks like it came from Samsung. The fakes are very difficult to spot. With the cost of the Surface being what it is, spending a few thousand on the equipment necessary to make it look official isn't such a bad deal for the reseller. I'm not saying the reseller is crooked as I know nothing about them. Of course that may say something right there.

OP
L

lordjohn

That resealing you wonder about is not all that difficult. There are lots of fake phones around, especially the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the packaging looks like it came from Samsung. The fakes are very difficult to spot. With the cost of the Surface being what it is, spending a few thousand on the equipment necessary to make it look official isn't such a bad deal for the reseller. I'm not saying the reseller is crooked as I know nothing about them. Of course that may say something right there.

perhaps, you are right, the reseller may have a way to seal them back, so the next replace may or may not be good just like the first 3, should I just use it as it is, the reseller will not send me a replace but ok for a refund, however lazada online is the only one that sells rt 32 in Thailand now, I have no choice. MS shop only sells surface 2 and newer versions. Very little choice in Thailand not like in Japan. the seller have very different understanding in Thailand too, scratch does not affect use, that's what they said.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
perhaps, you are right, the reseller may have a way to seal them back, so the next replace may or may not be good just like the first 3, should I just use it as it is, the reseller will not send me a replace but ok for a refund, however lazada online is the only one that sells rt 32 in Thailand now, I have no choice. MS shop only sells surface 2 and newer versions. Very little choice in Thailand not like in Japan. the seller have very different understanding in Thailand too, scratch does not affect use, that's what they said.
Sounds like they "know" their product well. If they replace it they admit there's something wrong with it and probably cant resell it as "new" but a refund will likely just get repackaged and sold as "new" again. Just like that "Scratch doesn't affect use" is a policy decision, they know what they are selling. Hopefully its priced accordingly and is at least a reasonable value for the price and they aren't just ripping people off, you will have to make that judgment.

OP
L

lordjohn

Sounds like they "know" their product well. If they replace it they admit there's something wrong with it and probably cant resell it as "new" but a refund will likely just get repackaged and sold as "new" again. Just like that "Scratch doesn't affect use" is a policy decision, they know what they are selling. Hopefully its priced accordingly and is at least a reasonable value for the price and they aren't just ripping people off, you will have to make that judgment.

thanks, shopping in Thailand is very different in japan, but I have to live with it now, tomorrow is last day for return, I will have decision after tomorrow. the price are ok, around 210usd for rt 32g and keyboard.

Last edited: