What's new

Surface RT Concerns/Issues: Should I swap/return my RT?

exanimo

I've had my surface for a several weeks now and love it for the most part. I love that there is a desktop for organizing files, MS office, the gestures, multi-tasking, on screen keyboard, compatibility with my computers/printers ... and well, everything but these terrible issues.

1. Trackpad on the Type Cover
The trackpad on the Type cover is pretty much useless for me. Never right clicks, always moving the cursor when trying to click, just pointless. It's a good thing I can touch the screen instead.

2. Screen brightness flicker even with auto adjust off.
I've read on this forum that it's a known issue, doesn't ruin it for me, I just hope there's a fix because it's subtlety becomes annoying after a while.

3. Confusing work around for Music/Video/Picture Apps and microSD integration
I wish it was easier to incorporate the MicroSD card into these apps without this silly work around I found on this forum.

4. Clunkiness of productivity and using Skype
I wasn't expecting my Surface to have the fluidity of the iPad from what I've read, but the clunkiness of my Surface once I get my type cover on and start really working sometimes gets to me.. Not a deal breaker, but not perfect.

More importantly, the clunkiness of Skype really worries me now that MS is dropping MSN Messenger. Does this worry anyone else? Will MS get it's act together and fully incorporate Skype into messenger/people without having to go through Skype? The incorporation of 'People' in Skype also confuses me. Why are my messenger friends on Skype? Why do I get two notifications from Skype AND messages when I'm talking to someone on MSN? ... It's all just really confusing and has me pretty angry. I just want ONE place where I have everyone, and I want that place to not lag like Skype does.

5. Lock Issue
Lastly, and most serious, which has me concerned and wondering if I should return/exchange my Surface is this incredibly aggravating lock issue..

I haven't found any threads talking about it, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this glaring issue:
Randomly, when my surface locks/sleeps (whatever it does when not in use for extended times) I cannot unlock it. I'll press the lock button to unlock it, but it does nothing. I hit the windows key, it gives haptic feedback, but still the black screen taunts me.

To fix it I have to hold my power button and press it again for the surface to restart. When it's restarting, if the screen shuts off again, the screen stays black until I have to restart it again. This happened during an update too.

So has anyone else had this problem? Is it my Surface's Hardware? A Software problem being fixed?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your issues. These do not seem typical. I for one have none of these issues. As far as Skype goes, MS just announced the change officially from Messenger. Yes you can expect improvement and changes from Skype. I see no reason it won't work just as you are stating after a revision or two. They certainly have a lot of changes on their plate and some are more pressing than others but I fully expect MS services and software to get better with time.

As for your hardware issues, first try a refresh and if that doesn't work a restore. Make sure you reapply all of the updates. If you are still having all of the issues above after trying this then a return due to a defective unit may be in order. You actually should fully expect all of the fluidity of an iPad on the Surface it can deliver exactly that kind of experience.

JP

Rallicat

Agreed - you should expect the fluidity of the iPad on a Surface ... and this has certainly been my experience so far.
Microsoft actually /licensed/ some of the technologies Apple use in the iPad and iPhone, so that kind of experience should absolutely be there.

It's certainly worth trying refreshes, and restores ... and if that doesn't fix your problems do seek a replacement Surface.

bosamar

I don't have any of these issues either. The lock issue sounds really bad. Have you contacted Microsoft tech support?

castlewalls

>>>>I haven't found any threads talking about it, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this glaring issue:
Randomly, when my surface locks/sleeps (whatever it does when not in use for extended times) I cannot unlock it. I'll press the lock button to unlock it, but it does nothing. I hit the windows key, it gives haptic feedback, but still the black screen taunts me.

yes, that is a known problem. I cannot recall now where I was reading about it but while it is not common it is known. short version, is i have 3 surfaces for Christmas. 2 were and still are great. The 3rd was fine for a few days and then I had the same locking/no wakeup problem. The theory I was reading was that one of the updates choked and from that point on things are messy. I tried all the suggestions of using the built in refresh and even reset to factory settings and slowly re-applying all the updates, but no joy. same problem. so I returned that one surface to Best Buy a week ago, easy exchange for another and now all 3 are working great and everyone is happy.

OP
E

exanimo

Castlewalls, thanks so much for this. It could explain some of the clunkiness I've been experiencing.

I think it might have gotten messed up because I first booted up on terrible Hughesnet internet so all the updates might not have been completed on time, in fact, I thought I paused them all, but when I got back to good internet they were already done. Very strange.

I had refreshed twice, but it still messed up every now and again. Since I bought my Surface around Christmas, MS store said I'll have until the end of January, so I think I'll exchange my Surface and return the Touchcover.

FFX

I think you should do a full Reset, not a Refresh. Full Reset is for fixing Windows core issues.

Last edited: