What's new

Surface Pro X limited software functionality due to the cpu make it not worth the hype

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what to make of that. It's a couple of paragraphs suggesting that people need to get on board and commit. Exactly the same issue were present with the whole surface concept regarding pen or touch input etc. The final result though, if you stick with it, you end up with a damned good product. We wouldn't have the surface pro as it currently stands if it were not for the folk willing to take a chance on a compromised system.

So is the surface pro x perfect? I doubt it. But you've got to start somewhere!

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Not sure what to make of that. It's a couple of paragraphs suggesting that people need to get on board and commit. Exactly the same issue were present with the whole surface concept regarding pen or touch input etc. The final result though, if you stick with it, you end up with a damned good product. We wouldn't have the surface pro as it currently stands if it were not for the folk willing to take a chance on a compromised system.

So is the surface pro x perfect? I doubt it. But you've got to start somewhere!

The Surface Pro came out to mixed reviews when it was first released. It did NOT come out to completely disappointed reviews. Surface Pro X reviews are all bad, disappointed, let down reviews. There is not one review out there praising it. There's a big difference there. Surface Pro was actually quite successful when it was released. The Surface Pro X is going to need A LOT of work.

jonneymendoza2

The Surface Pro came out to mixed reviews when it was first released. It did NOT come out to completely disappointed reviews. Surface Pro X reviews are all bad, disappointed, let down reviews. There is not one review out there praising it. There's a big difference there. Surface Pro was actually quite successful when it was released. The Surface Pro X is going to need A LOT of work.
Well said

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you install a printer driver? USB-C dock with ethernet and display support?

I don't print...that is why I use digital ink ;) I've printed only a handful of documents in the last decade. As far as the rest, I'm in India and my new Pro X is at home in the box waiting for me to come home :)

Just watched a couple of reviews of the Surface Pro X and it's going to have a VERY limited audience. The ARM chip has it VERY locked down to specific apps and other apps just won't load on the device. Definitely pass this device up and even if you're one of those always on the go workers, still think twice before getting the Surface Pro X in my opinion.

Again, most Windows Pundits also derided the pen, if Microsoft built machines for them we would never move forward. Never assume that your use case is the only, if the Pro X is a niche, so be it...these are the devices that move the industry forward. I've been doing about 90% of my work over the last 3 months on a Galaxy Tab 6...but miss OneNote on Windows 10 as my driver, but my Go only gives me 4-6 hours away from my desk.

I need Office, a good CLI, WSL and the M365 and Azure Portals...

macmee

I was chatting on another r/site about the possibility of getting Anbox - Android in a Box running ... might be possible
Oh yeah it might work. I haven't gone on the fast ring to grab wsl2 so I can't test, but assuming you have wsl2 I dont see why it wouldn't work considering docker works fine.

I would love to have wsl2 for docker support now. I m just worried about stability so I haven't switched to it. I hear 19h2 is coming this week though and that 20h1 will hit RTM by EOY though so I'm hoping I won't have to wait very long.

Bob_Podbevsek

Im loving my pro x so far. WSL support, great battery life, full windows 10, literally its my dream tablet.

You cannot like it. The gods have spoken. You and I are both wrong. It's stupid because the reviews said it's awful. You must send it back immediately.

Bob_Podbevsek

I assume you don't own one?

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I assume you don't own one?

Me? No, but I know several tech reviewing friends and all of their experiences matched each other. Lackluster, frustrating device that will need LOTS OF TIME before it becomes useful to the mainstream much less on the go journalists that like to have an "always on LTE connection" on their device for work. So I will save myself the $1,750 cost of entry for a product that can work with FEWER applications than my current device can.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well currently I'm using it for doing all of my consulting work....between UWP, PWA and Office365 it is doing everything I need.