What's new

Surface Pro worth it? Any issues? Compared to iPad Pro 12.9?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Size matters. Once youve used the 12.9" iPad, going back to 9.7" feels incredibly cramped.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I go from 12" to 7" for consumption and have never had a problem at all. Only to!w it's not good is films, but then they suck on 12" as well. Just my opinion of course.

mva5580

As someone who has (far too much) experience in going back and forth between these devices, I'll say this.

If you're someone who is used to using an iPad for the "consumption" type tasks, you are going to have some mental hurdles to get over in respect to the fact that a Surface Pro just isn't, and probably never will be as convenient to use for those things as an iPad. It WORKS, yes. But those things are basically what an iPad is made for. So it's an adjustment that you need to accept if you're going to use a SP for those things.

There is also the whole battery life thing too. What might bring you down to like 90% battery life on an iPad is probably going to bring you into the 70's, maybe 60%'s on a SP.

I get the conflict though...I experience it often lol. You KNOW the SP can do so, so much more and they aren't even that different in price (depending on SP specs of course,) but the iPad does what it does very, very well. I guess as far as problems go, there could be a lot worse.

OP
N

narutoninjakid

As someone who has (far too much) experience in going back and forth between these devices, I'll say this.

If you're someone who is used to using an iPad for the "consumption" type tasks, you are going to have some mental hurdles to get over in respect to the fact that a Surface Pro just isn't, and probably never will be as convenient to use for those things as an iPad. It WORKS, yes. But those things are basically what an iPad is made for. So it's an adjustment that you need to accept if you're going to use a SP for those things.

There is also the whole battery life thing too. What might bring you down to like 90% battery life on an iPad is probably going to bring you into the 70's, maybe 60%'s on a SP.

I get the conflict though...I experience it often lol. You KNOW the SP can do so, so much more and they aren't even that different in price (depending on SP specs of course,) but the iPad does what it does very, very well. I guess as far as problems go, there could be a lot worse.
Thanks that's a very good point. The more I watch more videos on the surface the more and more I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lorenzo B.

I second most of what has been written in this thread so far.
My personal experience involves:
- 1 iPad mini (couch surfer)
- 1 Macbook Air 11" (work on the go)
- 1 gaming desktop
- 1 work desktop
- 1 Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet (couch surfer + java...)
All of this stuff has been replaced by my SP4 (i5/4/128), because I can use it to do anything and then some. Of course, gaming-wise I won't be able to play the latest and greatest but it does a wonderful job at letting me immerse in my favorites (Skyrim/AC/Tomb Raider/I am Alive etc.) with medium settings in most cases. So when oh! so rarely, I have some spare time I'll grab my Steam Controller and go have some fun. Productivity-wise I use the exact same tools I have on my Fujitsu desktop at work, and I had on my former MBA. Being lazy on the couch with the SP4 in tablet mode and oriented vertically is a much better experience compared to the Yoga 2, for a lot of reasons ranging from the faster processor and much crisper display, to the Yoga's strange form factor which makes it awkward to keep on hand. The iPad mini is a completely different beast no comparison is possible. I'll therefore just add that since getting the SP4 I have felt no need to fire it up anymore; so much so that upon writing this I have just realized that it has disappeared from my shelf, to reappear on my son's desk in his room, coupled to his rig through some app similar to Sidesync...