What's new

Surface Pro to Surface Pro 3

mrlizzzard

Hi all, first post etc as hadn't realised there was a forum.

Just a quick post about my recent purchase of a Pro 3:

I had an RT the day of release and then upgraded to Pro 1 day of release, used the device every day for im guessing about 3 years now, as a device at the office hooked up to a 27" monitor running all the apps I require (as 3rd line techy) - used at home for lite gaming (as I have a PC as well), it does indeed get hot but I brought a USB fan to help cool it.

Was quite surprised to see all the returns and issues on here, mine was a release day version and was spot on, the gaming was extended the screen onto a 42" HD TV - it did get monstrously hot (what do you expect) but it never failed....

Anyway the company had to spend some money and so I have upgraded to a Pro 3 i7 top spec jobby, im hoping to expect another period of stable, consistent work/gaming.

I was really shocked with the improvement in performance - the GPU is obviously significantly better - Struggling to run 'I am Bread' on the Pro 1 in anything other than 720p on low where as now I am running it in native resolution and full with no slow down - If you cant have top notch Bread Simulation in your life - what are you doing!

Apps are quicker
Screen is mega
Kick stand works in any position
All the good stuff from pro1 is still there....
All my work stuff still works
Video processing on the gopro studio is a lot better and even though it isnt a 4k screen it seems to support that playback from the camera now... (pro 1 didnt)... :s

Very happy with it - be interesting to see what pro4 brings. Anyone thinking about upgrading I would say DO IT! I got £250 off from John Lewis.

Also the Pro 1 is now with a colleague to be used as a Marketing Analysis tool - lite analytics and mobile support tool - so still in use every day :)

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

This is a p;lace people come to ask a question if they have a problem. We don't see the many people who don't have any problems so you are likely to see a greater number of issues here than there are out in the general population. I have a friend who is the IT director for a software company and they have over 24 Surface devices, from the first Pro through the SP3 and haven't had the first problem with any of them.

CrippsCorner

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Must say that bread game intrigued me since I first saw a demo! Very interesting :D

OP
M

mrlizzzard

Surface pro is great for bread simulation as well as more productive applications. just waiting on a case and searching to see if there are any external batteries (or chargers) worth investing in, going to Silverstone in a week for 4 days without power!!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surface pro is great for bread simulation as well as more productive applications. just waiting on a case and searching to see if there are any external batteries (or chargers) worth investing in, going to Silverstone in a week for 4 days without power!!!!
Hmm, doesn't taking powered devices to a place without power defeat the purpose of going there? :confused:

There's a large failure rate with the product in my environment it was over 15% (we have 60 of them). However, when you have one that works great it usually continues to work great for the long haul. The most common failures (digitizer, screen, SSD, Ram) and they usually happen or are noticed within the first month.

OP
M

mrlizzzard

haha maybe :)

Hoping to take some good photos and video and want to offload some of it whilst there - if i was going for a day wouldnt be an issue...

OP
M

mrlizzzard

There's a large failure rate with the product in my environment it was over 15% (we have 60 of them). However, when you have one that works great it usually continues to work great for the long haul. The most common failures (digitizer, screen, SSD, Ram) and they usually happen or are noticed within the first month.

Interesting, we have about 30 or so in the business here (not the same one that purchased this one for me) - they say they have had a couple fail but I just thought it was end user issues. We did deploy the sony version and the lenovo helix as well and we now only supply surface's for management etc

bluegrass

Yes we do accept people who don't have problems with their Surface. I'm certain that we can learn something from them too. Welcome aboard. BTW. I'm in about the same boat you are having bought about every Surface from the original RT to the present SP3 7 512/8. I still have all of them and they still run great. My Surface Pro one is running Windows 10 now along with my SP3. We all need to accept that their will be occasional stones in the road ahead, but just keep on truckin'.

OP
M

mrlizzzard

Yes we do accept people who don't have problems with their Surface. I'm certain that we can learn something from them too. Welcome aboard. BTW. I'm in about the same boat you are having bought about every Surface from the original RT to the present SP3 7 512/8. I still have all of them and they still run great. My Surface Pro one is running Windows 10 now along with my SP3. We all need to accept that their will be occasional stones in the road ahead, but just keep on truckin'.

Initially when it was running hot I used to look after it and only game for short periods of time etc, as time went on however I just started to care less, I have never got a message saying it has over heated, it seems to get to a temp and sit there, since I got a USB fan it has helped with the temp but I only got it because I felt like it should of broken by now... fingers crossed the 3 will be a goodun