What's new

surface pro to samsung 4k tv with hdmi cable?

evening all
I'm new to this forum so first off hello everyone
I'm after some help connecting my surface pro to my new Samsung 4k tv. I can do it wirelessly but when streaming a movie it lags a lot and the playback is very jumpy. so I tried with my hdmi to mini dp cable but my tv wont connect. the surfaces knows its there and connected, I've tried changing the resolution but no luck.
it works fine on my old hd tv.
any help to resolve either issue would be much appreciated

thanks

Scott_in_FL

I think I've solved this problem. I have an SP4 (i5) connected through the MS Dock and into a Samsung UN40JU6700 curved 4k screen. I've tried several active adapters for mini DisplayPort to HDMI. The CableMatters and StarTech adapters both showed signal noise across the top of the monitor.

I then tried an active adapter from Moshi that was clean across the entire screen but only ran 4k@30hz. By then, I was satisfied (or so I thought) and figured I would simply stick with it. After all, I had been reading all of the forums across the web (i.e. tomshardware) about the forthcoming chip that would allow active adapters to run 4k@60hz. That chip (and the adapters that would use it) had been promised for 4Q15, but kept being delayed. It seemed like vaporware.

However, when I went back to return my first two adapters to Amazon, I figured I would run another search for an active adapter to HDMI 2.0. Lo and behold some no-name adapter came up that claimed to run at 60hz. It looked suspect, but the listing date of December 30, 2015 led me to believe that this might be legit. With the Amazon return policy, I figured I would give it a try.

Well, it came in yesterday and BINGO.... it runs at 60hz and the resolution is noticeably better than what I had been seeing previously. The resolution is noticeable even from the lock screen. I love that I now have a legitimate 4k screen that looks as good as anything else out there. In addition to resolution and clarity (and motion processing), contrast also seems to have gone up considerably. Anyway, the cable is sold by Micro SATA cables through Amazon and it ran about $30. Well worth it and, as far as I know, the only legitimate and verified cure to the problem of connecting your SP through the MS Dock and into a 4k hdmi connection.

OP
G

gazza_silverthorn

I think I've solved this problem. I have an SP4 (i5) connected through the MS Dock and into a Samsung UN40JU6700 curved 4k screen. I've tried several active adapters for mini DisplayPort to HDMI. The CableMatters and StarTech adapters both showed signal noise across the top of the monitor.

I then tried an active adapter from Moshi that was clean across the entire screen but only ran 4k@30hz. By then, I was satisfied (or so I thought) and figured I would simply stick with it. After all, I had been reading all of the forums across the web (i.e. tomshardware) about the forthcoming chip that would allow active adapters to run 4k@60hz. That chip (and the adapters that would use it) had been promised for 4Q15, but kept being delayed. It seemed like vaporware.

However, when I went back to return my first two adapters to Amazon, I figured I would run another search for an active adapter to HDMI 2.0. Lo and behold some no-name adapter came up that claimed to run at 60hz. It looked suspect, but the listing date of December 30, 2015 led me to believe that this might be legit. With the Amazon return policy, I figured I would give it a try.

Well, it came in yesterday and BINGO.... it runs at 60hz and the resolution is noticeably better than what I had been seeing previously. The resolution is noticeable even from the lock screen. I love that I now have a legitimate 4k screen that looks as good as anything else out there. In addition to resolution and clarity (and motion processing), contrast also seems to have gone up considerably. Anyway, the cable is sold by Micro SATA cables through Amazon and it ran about $30. Well worth it and, as far as I know, the only legitimate and verified cure to the problem of connecting your SP through the MS Dock and into a 4k hdmi connection.

Thanks for the reply. Have you got a link for the cable you found on amazon?

Is this the moshi cable you have? Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (4K) | Moshi Store
Says 4k compatible for sp3. Even though mines just the sp is should work just not in 4k quality?

Thanks