What's new

Surface Pro Signature Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader Pro X Issues?

Stetson45

I just received my second pro signature keyboard with the fingerprint reader (first was returned at Microsoft Support's suggestion), due to the computer never recognizing the fingerprint reader. I'm still having the same issue with the second, which confirms for me that the fingerprint reader on this keyboard is not currently compatible with the pro X, but I can't find that stated anywhere, only that they're completely compatible. Can anyone else confirm any issues, or potentially any fixes? Microsoft support previously spent about two hours working on it remotely and was never able to find a solution.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious what do you see in Device Manager? Is there a fingerprint device listed? Is there an unknown device listed?
I think this would require a compatible driver i.e. An ARM64 version of a fingerprint driver.

I don't suppose you have access to an Intel Surface to verify it works and to make device manager comparisons/ identify the driver name? I don't have one of those keyboards... Maybe if someone else here has one they could post the relevant information.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stetson45

Just curious what do you see in Device Manager? Is there a fingerprint device listed? Is there an unknown device listed?
I think this would require a compatible driver i.e. An ARM64 version of a fingerprint driver.

I don't suppose you have access to an Intel Surface to verify it works and to make device manager comparisons/ identify the driver name? I don't have one of those keyboards... Maybe if someone else here has one they could post the relevant information.
Under biometric services the only thing listed is the hello face software, nothing specific to the fingerprint scanner under keyboards either. No unknown devices at all, which is what originally led me to believe that they just haven't released a driver to support it yet. Or, they have one that I can't find a download for, and they're shipping without it installed. I mentioned this to support while speaking to them and they said they weren't aware of anything like that. No access to an Intel Surface unfortunately

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Running Windows Update with the keyboard attached should download the driver if there is one. However, I'd think an unknown device should appear in Device Manager, without an unknown device it's like it's not even being recognized as present.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you received two defective units ... I once encountered three printers with the exact same problem... That's where verifying it does or doesn't work on a Surface Pro 8, since they do have compatible keyboard connections. Maybe someone at Best Buy or Staples etc. would help out and allow you to see if it would work on a demo unit. My OG SPX keyboard works on my SP8.

OP
S

Stetson45

Running Windows Update with the keyboard attached should download the driver if there is one. However, I'd think an unknown device should appear in Device Manager, without an unknown device it's like it's not even being recognized as present.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you received two defective units ... I once encountered three printers with the exact same problem... That's where verifying it does or doesn't work on a Surface Pro 8, since they do have compatible keyboard connections. Maybe someone at Best Buy or Staples etc. would help out and allow you to see if it would work on a demo unit. My OG SPX keyboard works on my SP8.
I spoke with support again yesterday trying to confirm if the fingerprint scanner specifically was compatible with the SPX, and they still claim it should be. They're confident it's a software issue with the current OS that is failing to recognize that the scanner is even there, as you mentioned.

When asked if it could be a hardware issue, they said that the fingerprint scanner functionality is tied in with both the keyboard keys and track pad, so if those were functioning correctly, it would be nearly impossible for the fingerprint scanner to be malfunctioning. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that yet, I'll have to try it!