What's new

Surface Pro Keyboard - Not just for Surface Pro 3

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am waiting for my Surface Pro 3 i7 512. In the meantime, I have received my Surface Pro Type Cover keyboard, the third generation (or fourth, depending on how you count the Power Cover) of the detachable keyboard for the Microsoft Surface.

I've tried / owned them all. But the Surface Pro Type Cover keyboard has finally become just what I needed, so I cannot tolerate the other keyboards any longer, now that I've tried this one

I am using this keyboard on my Surface Pro 2, though it is oversized, since it is made to cover the SP3. I don't care how it looks, this is the keyboard I have been waiting for:

- Trackpad surface is slick, larger, and more responsive.
- Larger footprint is more comfortable to my hands - not falling off the edges
- Keys are soft-textured, have good motion, and are backlit

I liked this one so much, I bought a black one, too. Here's a side story: I had the black one in the trunk of my car last week. In the heat, a bottle of hair conditioner started leaking, and saturated my new black Surface Pro Type Cover keyboard. Several times, I did rinse/repeat in the kitchen sink to try and save it. After the rinses, drying with paper towels, and rapping the keyboard against the palm of my hand to fling excess water from it, I let it dry for about 20 minutes in the sunshine. Works perfectly. Thanks, Microsoft.

. surface_pro_keybard_red.JPG

Last edited:

daniielrp

I'd probably do that just for the trackpad, but I don't think it would fit in my bag. Do you know how wide/long it is?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The footprint of the fully flat Surface Pro Type Cover is the same as the Surface Pro 3 it is intended to cover: 11.5” x 7.93”
Worth it, to me, to use on my Surface Pro 2. When closed, it is usually in a bag, so its ugly fit does not have to be displayed. Love the keyboard.

SPKeyboard_1.JPG

SPKeyboard_3.JPG

SPKeyboard_2.JPG

Last edited:

jwin

I have thought about doing the same thing with my Surface Pro. I like the bigger keyboard and trackpad, however, I think I would worry more about damaging the keyboard with its oversized edges. I am currently using a Motorola lapdock with my ATEN CS533 Bluetooth Keyboard adapter which isn't very mobile but works.

Deryl McCarty

Have pre-ordered and also am awaiting my i7 (though a 256). My red type cover arrived yesterday. My SP2 accepted the KB without batting an eye and indeed it is a sweet addition to the SP2. Unlike the oft heard fiction that size doesn't matter, size matters. A 12" screen and the more generous KB real estate makes my eyes strain less and fat fingers feel more sure footed (how a finger can be a foot is a question for the philosophers). The more interesting difference is tactile. I have both keyboards laying flat on the desk in front of me and with my eyes closed using feel only I can only feel the old type cover touchpad by its edges and then not well. The new pad is slick, sensitive and easily findable therefore usable (size matters here too). Note that neither touchpad is lit and both are offset to the left by about an inch.

Most important is the question for sharpcolorado. It's good that you and MS saved the KB from multiple hair conditioner soakings, BUT, is the KB now smoother, silkier and more manageable?

CrippsCorner

Do you actually get any more real estate with the keys? They had the opportunity to spread them out a bit more but to me it looks like they haven't, which is a real shame imo.

If you still have your old keyboard I'd love to see some comparison shots on top of each other etc.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Not a very good photo. The Colorado sunset makes the black covers look blue-ish. But the photo is good enough to show that...

Functional keys footprint is the same size with all Type and Touch Cover models through and including the Surface Pro Type Cover. The Surface Pro Type Cover does have a larger touchpad area, though.

I was surprised to find that the keyboard arrays are all the same size. That is because adding space to the perimeter, especially below the touchpad (closest to the typist), allows a much more comfortable hand position, especially the heels of the hands. I typed this just now on the pictured Red Surface Pro Type Cover, rescued from a hair salon treatment, and again found it perfect, the topic of my original post.

Attachments

• keyboard_comparisons.jpg
    keyboard_comparisons.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,233
Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Not a very good photo. The Colorado sunset makes the black covers look blue-ish. But the photo is good enough to show that...

Functional keys footprint is the same size with all Type and Touch Cover models through and including the Surface Pro Type Cover. The Surface Pro Type Cover does have a larger touchpad area, though.

I was surprised to find that the keyboard arrays are all the same size. That is because adding space to the perimeter, especially below the touchpad (closest to the typist), allows a much more comfortable hand position, especially the heels of the hands. I typed this just now on the pictured Red Surface Pro Type Cover, rescued from a hair salon treatment, and again found it perfect, the topic of my original post.

Thanks for the pics!