What's new

Surface pro as a Cintiq?

tristratos

Is it possible to use Surface pro multitouch capabilities to drive a connected computer?
I am refering to what Cintiq Companion 2 offers. Not a stream app solution.
Is it possible with Surface Pro 3??
If not should we expect such with Surface Pro 4?? Any clue

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I'm not certain what you mean by "drive" but I have my doubts you would actually be able to directly control it through a Surface, any model, without using remote access.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible to use Surface pro multitouch capabilities to drive a connected computer?
I am refering to what Cintiq Companion 2 offers. Not a stream app solution.
Is it possible with Surface Pro 3??
If not should we expect such with Surface Pro 4?? Any clue
No, the SP3 does not have this capability. The Wacom Cintiq Companion and Companion Gen2 are the only devices that does this natively, of course you will pay a premium to get that functionality. I doubt the SP4 will have...

kozak79

No, but if you connect an external monitor to the Surface, and set in the video driver to display only on the external display, disabling the screen on the Surface, the pen will still work, and you can use it like a Wacom Pro Tablet. I use mine just by itself, and it works really well. You'll need a toolbar utility, since the Surface has no external modifier buttons, like Radial Menu. I made a video on how to set it up and also a video showing the performance of some 3D applications on it:

Radial Menu Surface Pro 3 Settings:

3D Applications on Surface Pro 3:

daniielrp

Well, if my understanding of a cintiq is correct - a standard windows tablet with a highly sensitive wacom screen that plugs in to a PC to become just a normal input device, surely the same result can be had from simply plugging the SP3 in to monitor as suggested above?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if my understanding of a cintiq is correct - a standard windows tablet with a highly sensitive wacom screen that plugs in to a PC to become just a normal input device, surely the same result can be had from simply plugging the SP3 in to monitor as suggested above?
The Cintiq (not companion) is a Display with a professional DTR digitizer (better than the Feel Line used in Tablet PCs and Samsung Notes), it is typically plugged into Workstation Class Computers (Xeon) and it is not portable. The Cintiq Companion Gen 1 that can double as a normal Cintiq (i.e. act as an input device for another computer) ran Android and Gen 2 runs Windows 8.1. Both are full Tablets also, both Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices are very pricey and heavy. The Companion Line allows a mobile solution that you can also plug into your Workstation.

So the SP3 plugged into an external monitor is no where near the same solution as it can't harness the power of a Workstation.

kozak79

The Cintiq (not companion) is a Display with a professional DTR digitizer (better than the Feel Line used in Tablet PCs and Samsung Notes), it is typically plugged into Workstation Class Computers (Xeon) and it is not portable. The Cintiq Companion Gen 1 that can double as a normal Cintiq (i.e. act as an input device for another computer) ran Android and Gen 2 runs Windows 8.1. Both are full Tablets also, both Gen 1 and Gen 2 devices are very pricey and heavy. The Companion Line allows a mobile solution that you can also plug into your Workstation.

So the SP3 plugged into an external monitor is no where near the same solution as it can't harness the power of a Workstation.

Just a small correction, the Wacom Cintiq Companion Gen 1 is a Windows 8.1 computer and cannot act as a "regular" cintiq tablet. The Wacom Cintiq Hybrid runs Android and can act as a "regular" cintiq when connected to a host computer. The Wacom Cintiq Companion Gen 2, runs windows 8.1 AND can function as a "regular" cintiq tablet when connected to a host computer, the Gen 2 Companion is also available with Broadwell CPU and 16 GB of Ram, but at $2500.

Maximus3D

You could also connect a external standard Wacom tablet to your Surface Pro 3 and then to a bigger monitor if necessary and then use the benefits of a Wacom tablet when drawing or sculpting.

/ Magnus

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just a small correction, the Wacom Cintiq Companion Gen 1 is a Windows 8.1 computer and cannot act as a "regular" cintiq tablet. The Wacom Cintiq Hybrid runs Android and can act as a "regular" cintiq when connected to a host computer. The Wacom Cintiq Companion Gen 2, runs windows 8.1 AND can function as a "regular" cintiq tablet when connected to a host computer, the Gen 2 Companion is also available with Broadwell CPU and 16 GB of Ram, but at $2500.

Yes, they called the Android version the Hybrid, their naming convention is worse the MS of old....

You could also connect a external standard Wacom tablet to your Surface Pro 3 and then to a bigger monitor if necessary and then use the benefits of a Wacom tablet when drawing or sculpting.

/ Magnus
Except the Wacom WINTAB Driver tends to break the N-Trig driver....

OP
T

tristratos

You all miss the point here. Being able to use wacom CC2 as a touch device to a connected much powerful workstation is realy a unique feature.
So the question is, should we expect such feature to be offered to the forthcoming Surface Pro 4??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You all miss the point here. Being able to use wacom CC2 as a touch device to a connected much powerful workstation is realy a unique feature.
So the question is, should we expect such feature to be offered to the forthcoming Surface Pro 4??
I wouldn't bet on it....Wacom pretty much "owns" that market with some outliers bringing up the rear...