What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You always pay more ala cart than for the complete package. Never are you going to get anyone to breakout each component and sell them to you at the equivalent bundled price.

My point being that if they sold the SP5 for say £850 with a touch cover included, instead of just £800 without, then I'm £50 out of pocket for an accessory I have no use for. I know it goes both ways, but i've never been an advocate of bundling extra items at additional cost if I don't need them, I like to have a choice in the matter and not end up with surplus accessories. Every review harps on about how the SP should have a typecover included by default, I fully disagree. Just my preference of course.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point being that if they sold the SP5 for say £850 with a touch cover included, instead of just £800 without, then I'm £50 out of pocket for an accessory I have no use for. I know it goes both ways, but i've never been an advocate of bundling extra items at additional cost if I don't need them, I like to have a choice in the matter and not end up with surplus accessories. Every review harps on about how the SP should have a typecover included by default, I fully disagree. Just my preference of course.
It seems to be a common pet peeve in the UK. Had this argument frequently (like every year or two) budgeting for Office software. The whole company except the UK agreed the package was cheaper but the UK wanted individual Word, Excel, ... :) ultimately because they would hold out the rest had to pay higher tier pricing because of smaller number of users. you can have the whole package for 300 or four individual programs for 100 each when 90% have all four. It's cheaper to package them together than separately, one box vs 4 boxes etc. etc. One bag of chips $1, 4 bags of chips $3.00. They will never sell you one bag for .75. :) even though that's what they argued for.

When I worked for a computer manufacturer we sold 2 disk drives one was single density and the other was double density. In reality it was the same drive with half of it disabled or fully enabled. It was cheaper to make them all the same than make two different units.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems to be a common pet peeve in the UK. Had this argument frequently (like every year or two) budgeting for Office software. The whole company except the UK agreed the package was cheaper but the UK wanted individual Word, Excel, ... :) ultimately because they would hold out the rest had to pay higher tier pricing because of smaller number of users. you can have the whole package for 300 or four individual programs for 100 each when 90% have all four. It's cheaper to package them together than separately, one box vs 4 boxes etc. etc. One bag of chips $1, 4 bags of chips $3.00. They will never sell you one bag for .75. :) even though that's what they argued for.

When I worked for a computer manufacturer we sold 2 disk drives one was single density and the other was double density. In reality it was the same drive with half of it disabled or fully enabled. It was cheaper to make them all the same than make two different units.

Probably because in the UK we get ripped off for absolutely everything and get taxed on absolutely everything possible so want to save where ever is possible. Just look at the new apple headphones. $159 for you, £159 for us.

polbit

I get your point on having extras included that you don't want, but a simple touch cover as part of the bundle wouldn't cost much. My only worry would be that the typing experience could turn people off and generate negative reviews, even if it was just meant as a screen cover with the keyboard as a bonus...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get your point on having extras included that you don't want, but a simple touch cover as part of the bundle wouldn't cost much. My only worry would be that the typing experience could turn people off and generate negative reviews, even if it was just meant as a screen cover with the keyboard as a bonus...
Panos Panay wasn't a fan of the Touch Cover....doubt we will see it resurrected....

kristalsoldier

Panos Panay wasn't a fan of the Touch Cover....doubt we will see it resurrected....

Yes, well, it is not the Touch Cover per se which is being requested, but a Cover without keys to serve as a cover for the screen when using in pure tablet mode - something like the Smart Cover for the iPads.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, well, it is not the Touch Cover per se which is being requested, but a Cover without keys to serve as a cover for the screen when using in pure tablet mode - something like the Smart Cover for the iPads.
But that would go against the tablet that can replace your laptop....

I don't think we'll ever see that has a 1st Party Accessory.

kristalsoldier

But that would go against the tablet that can replace your laptop....

I don't think we'll ever see that has a 1st Party Accessory.

Hmmm...not cool! I think MS needs to be a bit flexible here because what if, for example, I want to use the S3 as a pure tablet which, as you know, I do? If the S3 - retaining the example - cannot be used as a pure tablet, then what S3-like tablets are around (most importantly, the AR)?

jrioux

Amazon is your friend. In a few seconds, I found the following covers for the Surface Pro 4 for $16 or less. Can't beat that, eh?
My wife has similar covers for her Samsung and Nook tablets and loves them.

I agree, though, that a cover that attached to the bottom, like the keyboard, would be nice for those who don't need or want keyboards.

kristalsoldier

Amazon is your friend. In a few seconds, I found the following covers for the Surface Pro 4 for $16 or less. Can't beat that, eh?
My wife has similar covers for her Samsung and Nook tablets and loves them.

I agree, though, that a cover that attached to the bottom, like the keyboard, would be nice for those who don't need or want keyboards.

Thanks for the links. But as far as I can see, these seem to be "cases" not "covers". What I am looking for is a Touch Cover type of a cover but with none of the circuitry that comes with it. It just should attach itself to the Surface and be just a cover protecting the screen which can be folded over when being used as a tablet without feeling squishing keys under one's fingers in that mode.

Edit: I had one of the MoKo cases for my Nexus 10. Very bulky I thought them to be.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm...not cool! I think MS needs to be a bit flexible here because what if, for example, I want to use the S3 as a pure tablet which, as you know, I do? If the S3 - retaining the example - cannot be used as a pure tablet, then what S3-like tablets are around (most importantly, the AR)?
I don't disagree, I just had many conversations with the team including Panos and Ralf....

kristalsoldier

I don't disagree, I just had many conversations with the team including Panos and Ralf....

No...no...please don't misunderstand me here. I am just saying I wish MS would have considered it. I am confident what you saying is very well-informed.

Edit: Btw, Jeff, given who you hobnob with, you know what's up with the follow on of the S3 I bet!!! Ok - yes, you have NDAs etc. But you know!!!!:D And this leads to some crazy situations - for example:

Me: Jeff - do you know anything about a successor to the S3?
Jeff: I can't say whether I know or not - I have signed an NDA.
Me: So do you know or don't you know?
Jeff: I can't say.
Me: You can't say you know or you don't know?
Jeff: Correct
Me: Do you know whether what you can't say - which is whether you know or not - is true?
Jeff: Yes! I know I can't say whether I know or not.
Me: But if you can't say whether you know or not, do you know? I mean, does Jeff know?
Jeff: Err...does Jeff know what?
Me: Does Jeff know it to be true that what he can or cannot confirm is confirmed?

Jeff? :D

Edit 2: LOL!!! A little more of that and we would have to ask Donald Rumsfeld to show up and talk more about his theory of what we don't know we don't know!:D:D:D

Last edited: