What's new

Surface Pro 4 Warranty Returns

Votality

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples experience is with sending their surface in for warranty is.What is the condition of the replacement units?

I spoke to a ms support representative. I was told I would have a replacement unit shipped to me then you ship yours back after you receive the replacement. (Sounds great)

I asked if the replacement units were new and I was told no. Its "an item we keep in stock". I said so is it a refurbished unit and was told no. I'm not entirely sure how the units don't fall into one of these two categories. Either the unit they replace it with is new, or a repaired and refurbished unit.

Just asking because the issue with my unit is a blemish on the screen. It (since the day I got it) has lightbleed at the bottom and a blemish were light shines through (particularly visible on boot), near indistinguishable in use .. but it has become a little worse over time (noticeable in windows with dark colours).. I should have returned it but it was a replacement for my first surface that died completely after the first few weeks. I was so desperate for a working unit I didn't send it back straight away... not a problem however as my unit is still well within warranty. Basically the fault needs to be fixed but otherwise my unit is immaculate no scratches (screen protector and case on it from before I left the store), very little wear on the ssd (as I haven't used it much since purchase).

My concern is if the replacement units are refurbs (and while I will get the small issue remedied) I may end up overall with a surface in worse condition (worn ssd, scratches etc). What's peoples experience been?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

GPCANA

I have to admit that after reading all issues on surfacepro 4 . I will try to get refund.. I went to the same situation last week on ms store in nyc. I demanded for a brand new never open. Got the same battery problem. I will expedite my return to get a refund. Going back to mac.

sinha.sandy

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples experience is with sending their surface in for warranty is.What is the condition of the replacement units?

I spoke to a ms support representative. I was told I would have a replacement unit shipped to me then you ship yours back after you receive the replacement. (Sounds great)

I asked if the replacement units were new and I was told no. Its "an item we keep in stock". I said so is it a refurbished unit and was told no. I'm not entirely sure how the units don't fall into one of these two categories. Either the unit they replace it with is new, or a repaired and refurbished unit.

Just asking because the issue with my unit is a blemish on the screen. It (since the day I got it) has lightbleed at the bottom and a blemish were light shines through (particularly visible on boot), near indistinguishable in use .. but it has become a little worse over time (noticeable in windows with dark colours).. I should have returned it but it was a replacement for my first surface that died completely after the first few weeks. I was so desperate for a working unit I didn't send it back straight away... not a problem however as my unit is still well within warranty. Basically the fault needs to be fixed but otherwise my unit is immaculate no scratches (screen protector and case on it from before I left the store), very little wear on the ssd (as I haven't used it much since purchase).

My concern is if the replacement units are refurbs (and while I will get the small issue remedied) I may end up overall with a surface in worse condition (worn ssd, scratches etc). What's peoples experience been?

Thanks in advance...
It is better to have it shipped to there service center and replace your faulty one there. It gets you out from the loop of sending it to them. I had mine replaced through the service center and there was no problem because I had a surface with me at all time with no headache of sending it. I also asked the ms guy about the condition of the replacement and he told me the same. But he assured me that it is mostly the new ones. The replacement one looks new by the way and I don't have any problems with it.

The rest is your call and the service depends case to case but I am a happy person at the end of it.

Take your call wisely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

wynand32

They're not refurbished, because they can't really be opened up and fixed without breaking something. I imagine when they get returned units, they strip them for parts as they can and then they're recycled.

They can't call them "new," however, because that's a legal term that has to meet certain requirements, such as being shipped in a retail box with the full kit. So, I'm guessing they have inventory set aside for warranty work.

At least, that's how it's been explained to me. It makes sense, because I'm on my second replacement unit for poor battery performance with my original SP4. The first one had two cycles on the battery--it had obviously been checked out before they shipped it, likely to make sure there were no obvious issues. The second one, which I'm using now, had one battery cycle on it. I'm fairly certain that they hadn't opened them up and replaced the batteries, because if you read iFixit's teardown you'll see that these things are extremely difficult to open up and service without breaking something.