What's new

Surface Pro 4 video issues with Mini DisplayPort

theHoleK

I connected my SP4 to an LCD monitor through a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. I then used Windows-P shortcut to display on the monitor only. The screen looked blurry; text was hard to read and when I used the Snipping Tool to take a screenshot, the resulting image was not what was selected with my mouse. I rebooted the SP4 with the Mini DP-DVI adapter plugged in hoping this would resolve the problem but it did not. When I right-clicked the desktop and selected display settings, "change the size of text, apps, and other items" was grayed out and I also cannot change screen resolution in advanced display settings, as it's also grayed out.
Next, I went into the device manager and checked for updates for the Intel HD Graphics 520 display adapter but I have the latest version installed (20.19.15.4463). I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded the latest driver pack and to try updating the driver manually. I noticed that when I uninstalled the Intel display adapter, the issue was resolved; my monitor display was perfect and I was able to change text size and resolution. I updated the driver and rebooted which resulted in a blurry display again.
Currently, I'm working around this issue by uninstalling the display adapter from the device manager and not rebooting. Any ideas for a permanent solution?

ScottyS

Instead of Windows Key-P which is to project to another display have you tried Settings/System/Display? You can choose to extend, duplicate or use monitor 2 only. I don't know if this is the same thing as Project to another display.

OP
T

theHoleK

Instead of Windows Key-P which is to project to another display have you tried Settings/System/Display? You can choose to extend, duplicate or use monitor 2 only. I don't know if this is the same thing as Project to another display.
It's the same thing and gives me the same result.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like the latest Intel Driver doesn't natively support your DVI to mDP adapter, do you know if it is a passive or active adapter?