What's new

surface pro 4 type cover

jason ricardo

hi, i know this topic seems well known but how do i fix my type cover issue - it seems dead to the world and doesnt exist in my device manager.

i have tried all the resets etx and firmware and software upgrades.

the cover is in perfect condition and just stopped working for no apparent reason.

is it the software upgrades which have killed it?

After trying all the suggestions it seems i should just throw the type cover away and give up on my SP4

David Robertsen

Same here. I received a usb driver update (could have contained fw) through windows update.
The type cover was dead. Silly me that listened to Microsoft support. Tried to reinstall windows, but now I'm stuck on "choose your language and region." No keyboard, no mouse, no touch-screen. Touch works in UEFI, but type cover doesn't work anywhere.

My type cover has backlight that turns on when touching the touchpad or keys, even the "Fn" button. It works perfectly on another surface. No type cover works on my surface. So the FW on the type cover port is broken.

What to do? can i make a install script that chooses language automatically?

davePro4

The cover works on another surface.

The problem is that I'm stuck at the end of the installation.

Fortunately I live in Norway and our law gives me 5 years warranty. And today MS agreed to give me a replacement. I have tried literally everything. The USB port, even on the Surface dock does not power up either the USB mouse nor the USB keyboard. Tried several of them.

The MS representative agreed that this probably is a FW update that broke the type cover port. They just rolled out an update to support all new type covers on all surface pros from Pro4 upwards.

So, today I'm happy
And he even understood the problem. He said MS is investigating but since it's only affecting some not all it's difficult for them to say why.

Move to Norway, that's the conclusion.

davePro4

hi, i know this topic seems well known but how do i fix my type cover issue - it seems dead to the world and doesnt exist in my device manager.

i have tried all the resets etx and firmware and software upgrades.

the cover is in perfect condition and just stopped working for no apparent reason.

is it the software upgrades which have killed it?

After trying all the suggestions it seems i should just throw the type cover away and give up on my SP4

Whatever you do, don't try a factory reset. Use a Bluetooth keyboard. Or else you might get a useless bookstand